There's my day right there. Oh my.
Let me inform you of my Wednesday.
one word: slacker.
Ok, so I used to be the most professional of slackers all during high school. Mom thought I didn't manage my time well, but I did. I can manage to do a lot during the few hours before my homework is due. Yup. Skill set.
But, in college, that sneaky and laid-back persona needed to be thrown out the window. No more intense-on-rare-occasion person. That's all I ever am. Busybusybusybusybusybusy. Unbelievably.
So, I kinda moseyed about yesterday. I haven't had the change to sorta slack for a long time. Sure, I worked on my drafting dimensions that were due today, and I sat there for hours with my drafting board on my lap. But it was the computer beside me that did me in. I watched some movies while working, and listened to tunes, whatnot. But time just slips by, and you realize that not every moment was spent wisely.
Such is life. Decisions, mistakes, corrections.
So, I sat in there, dimensioning, skypeing, Fbing, whatever, from about 11 AM to 4:30. Then, I became intensely aware that I needed to go visit a building on the East Bank to write about during my design thinking midterm today. I knew I needed to go there sometime on Wednesday, but it dawned on me that I should get moving. I went on the McNamara website to see when it closes.
And I read 5PM.
Ohh, the panic. I had 20 minutes to get my person over to the other end of the East Bank, look around in a building, and take notes. Getting there in that time is nearly impossible. first, one must gather up stuff, lock up, get outside, run to the bus stop, catch a bus that rarely comes at that hour, get across the bridge and through most of the East Bank, hop off at the right stop, and book it inside.
Well, that's what I did. I panickly ran to the bridge, waiting nearly 10 minutes for a bus, and got off just as the bells sounded 5 PM. Hoping, hoping it wasn't true they closed then, I dashed inside, and saw on the door, that, in fact, the building closes at 8. Oi.
So, pretty much shaking, I eased my way inside the beautiful place, and sat down in a leather chair by a 7-foot fireplace, and watched the fancy staff set up for a banquet. This place is beautiful beyond architectural words, guys. McNamara is my favor place on campus. So, I guess, if I hadn't been able to get in there, I'd at least have been inside before to gawk at it, and would recall some stuffs.
Anyway, who cares. I did it.
I decided it might be relaxing to walk back to the West Bank. I eased myself out of that deep leather chair, put on my favorite mustard and charcoal-colored mittens, and began the trek down the Scholar's Walk.
The Scholar's Walk is a pretty neat place, for those of you who know nothing about the U. It's pretty much a long, long, long stretch of sidewalk, I think a couple thousand feet, that reaches from nearly one end of East Bank to another. Along it, there are memorials and tributes to great people from the U, and around the world. Different awards are named, like the Nobel and all that. Most awards are for science discoveries. Only one dude got a some weird things called a Wolf Award for geophysics, or something. Whatever that is.
Anyway, it was a nice, quieting way to end my long afternoon. Walking across the bridge over the Mississippi, I noticed two Chinese girls in front of me a ways. Nothing out of the ordinary, but all of a sudden, then walked sharply to the left. I was like...? Then, I saw, hanging from the roof of the indoor tunnel, there was a huge huge river spider, just chillin about 6 feet above the ground. Yuq. His legs were all splayed out, which made him a couple inches across. It was sick nasty.
Oh, the things you notice without earbuds in your ears.
All in all, yesterday was a weird, slackery, terribly nostalgic for no reason day that ended at 3 AM for me.
I'm tired an rambly, if you can't tell.
An now I have a nearly 20 page technical sketching assignment due in my studio class next Thursday, which will beat the living crud out of me.
MLIA.
I should go. Class in 15.
End.
Song of the Day: Letters From the Sky, by Civil Twilight
0 comments:
Post a Comment