I have had an epic couple of days. Well, Tuesday was just kind of normal, with its promise of a nasty day of projects on Wednesday. Cute.
And that happened. After class yesterday I galumphed back to my dorm, and slowly came to the point where I began constructing The Hat. This hat is 3-D interpretation of a 2-D design I had made last week, which was based off a 15 second clip of wordless music. It didn't take as much intensive, close-up work as the 2-D, and I got more social interaction in while doing it.
My roommate invited a really nice girl over after her world music class, and we all talked for about 2.5 hours. It was highly enjoyable. And I still got work done.
Then, after a good stint of work, I went down and ate me some foods and talked with Lucie, who then came up to our room to also do homework, and exchange excellent music tastes. It's much more than nice to have someone to bounce tunes off of. I miss that.
So, the night continued as I sat on our office-carpeted floor with my random household materials and hot glue gun. Another new friend, Whitney, stopped by, and we talked about a lot of things, like art and childhood and all that. She's a philosophy major, and I respect her a lot. She's quite a good listener, too, which is something I've realized I value a ton in people, and am working on becoming good at myself. It was a very win-win situation.
A funny thing happened last night. At about 10:30ish, a rumbling bass line was shaking our floor. In case you didn't know, that's an unusual thing. We're quiet. The even odder part of this situation was that it came from The Wing Nobody Remembers Except If You Live In It And Maybe Even Then You Forget It Is There. Pretty much, it's a guy's hallway that is tucked back behind the lounge and stuff, and you see people disappear into every once in a while, but it is so subtle. And there are a good chunk of math and biology major sorts down there, too, so it's probably usually study city. Anyways, it took me off guard, and I had me a good laugh.
I finished my project at about 12:30, but still stayed up until 3:45 to shower and do more homework. Bleh.
As far as I know, nobody has ever been dumb enough to coin the phrase "as carefree as an art major." Because it's never be true, and you probably aren't an art major if you coin something like that.
Alright, now we come to this morning - the morning of things going wrong, and many opportunities for things to go wrong. So, all us designers have to transport this sculpture assignment and the 2-D board to school, right? This means getting to the bus stop, riding the bus, and walking to the building. Pretty normal, right?
It was pouring rain this morning.
It is distressing enough for a normal student to walk through the rain on a cold 48 degree, windy morning. I hope you have enough of an imagination that you can mentally fabricate the despair of every stinkin' pre-interior major on this day. What's worse, we are visiting a design firm today, which means dressing up and looking professional.
So, all together we have:
-18" x 24" project board
-12" x 12" x 12" model
-normal 30-pound material load
-fancy clothes.
Sherpas, indeed. Spiffy ones.
I know this is getting long, so you don't need to continue reading, but I need to throw this out there again. I do not like my major. The more I hear about it, the more I don't want to hear about it. Yes, I'm new to it. Yes, it'll be intimidating. But No, I do not want to spend the rest of my life making perfect blueprints and models and things that need to be ABSOLUTELY perfect so architects, engineers, electricians, and whoever else can accurately read and use.
NO.
I am beginning to think that graphic is my only other option.
Actually, to be perfectly honest, I want to know know what a straight-up art major does. I love creating. I like having few rules. My creativity gets lost when so many fundamentals are pressing on my head. I can't live with that my whole life. And I'm not just saying this because I am in the moment of being overwhelmed by school. No. I am beginning to despair in my choice of major. All I want to do is learn about and create art. I know its not easy, and that is no surprise, but I want to create and not be so hindered by the have-tos.
But I know it is hard to make a living off of. Maybe that's why I play bass.
I don't know. I have been very distressed about this as of late, and have been thinking and praying and honestly worrying about it constantly. I have no sense of peace about my choice of career, and I just can't imagine myself ever becoming passionate about it.
Is this normal?
Let me know.
On a totally different note, there were three men on the bus this morning that bothered me. Not their personalities or anything like that, but I was frustrated because I couldn't figure out their nationality. The were speaking in some language that involved a lot of "yah-yah-yahing", and at first I thought maybe Norwegian, or, no, Russian? German, Polish? One guy said "Nyet," so it must have been some sort of Russian-type thing. I don't know. They didn't look too Slavic.
Bother bother.
Alright, I should go. I have pained you long enough with this jibjab, and the men painting the railings in the building are moving into my space bubble. I need to go get to that firm, anyways.
I think it might be a turning point in my hesitant design thoughts.
We shall see.
Thanks for listening.
0 comments:
Post a Comment