Monday, October 26, 2009

Artistic perspective, and the hatred of drafting.

Oh my. What a weekend.

Let me start off by informing your person about this person's Thursday.


So we didn't end up going to the planetarium. It was suspicious.
Carla and I drove up to the building, only to realize it was...an elementary school?
Suspicion.

So, we decided to go to the Walker Art Center. I'd never been in there before, so it was a pretty funky experience. And Thursday nights are free, so it cost Carla and I 75 cents each to get in. AKA parking.


I realized in there that I don't think I'm cut out for straight up art. maybe something close it, but I'm too into making art practical that I don't think I'd be good with just art. Yes, it's awesome to see what an artist was thinking, or trying to convey, and all that. But only a certain group of people even want to attempt to appreciate that, especially when it comes to modern art. I think art should be made more accessible to the general publics tastes. No, artists should not conform to "what the public wants." They need to keep their styles and passions. But the ability to be able to branch off and also make your art something that an art-o-phobe would step back and ponder and want to interact with takes a whole different set of skills. Art should be interactive sometimes.


This is why I like wine glasses.


I have no use for them, but they are so dang pretty. This also goes for basically any glass object. They can easily be pieces of art, but people buy them for practical reasons, while appreciating the art at the same time.

It's a sneaky way to get art out of museums and into domestic lifestyles. Art appreciation is not just for the rich or eclectic.

And Thomas Kinkade is nice, but helloooo suburbia: there's a lot a lot a lot more out there, thank you very much.


I tire of Thomas a lot. His puzzles are irritatingly hard.


Anyway, I think art can be appreciated by more than just the art community. And, yes, I know not everyone will appreciate art, even on it's practical palates. I just think a wider range of people could be affected positively by it.



So there's that. I've beens stewing over that concept all weekend. I think it's due to my massive drafting project.

See, interior design is supposed to be art + science, but in the long run, it leans much more towards the science end of things than I am comfortable dealing with. And making my career.


This is the part where I tell you about what went on outside of my head this weekend. I went home again, which, I love doing, but it's getting to be too frequent. The hard thing is, I have been going home for legit reasons every weekend, not just because I want to. I'm either working, have a gig, or it was my birthday and such. Every weekend. It's hard.

So, I'm able to stay here this weekend, which I am pleased about. I'll see my family plenty of times, so I'm fine not going home so frequently if I don't have to.

This weekend I went back for the sake of my birthday again. My extended family came over for a late celebration, and that was good. We chilled. And ate phenomenal homemade carrot cake. Moms tend to be awesome.

Then, after they left around 9, I got set up to work on drafting, which I did for a bit, then took a long break to mope. Yep. I tend to mope a lot these days. It'll change soon, though. I hope.

Later, my sister and I made pretzels, which was amazing, and sat downstairs watching the 5th Harry Potter while I drafted. This took until 4 AM. Oh boy.

I got up at 12:45, since my family decided to skip church that morning. That was fine, since I probably would have fallen asleep in church, anyway. I drafted all freaking day, and left at 10 PM. It was not the best of days, let me tell you. Even though being at home was good. I won't elaborate. Just know in was the final nail in the coffin of my major debate. I'm dumping interior after this semester.

Drafting sucks.

So, I sit here now, alone, in the dorm room, eating a sandwich that will make this place reek of onions, and Skyping Bjones. Then it's geography class.

I should be off. I have much to kill.

Audios.


0 comments:

Post a Comment