Sunday, October 11, 2009

"WHO HATES IOWA?" (aka, The Power of One)

Alright. It's the weekend. This is nice.

I think I am going to take this opportunity to fill you in on life's nuances and happenings.

Fridays are good. I dig them alright. I intentionally skipped my geography class Friday so I could catch up on some zeds and work on a project in the mornin'. I really don't need to learn everything about British Columbia first thing in the morning, thanks. Not super relevant to my life. Yay Geog.


So, yes. Friday was a good deal. I slept for a good couple of hours that afternoon, which was beyond beautiful. I am so sleep deprived, it's just sad. I sleep everywhere now. It was parents weekend, so my family called me around 5, and we met up on the St. Paul campus so they could park there, and we could all bus back to Minneapolis for some dinner and some homecoming festivities and merriment. And that is what happened. A slick dinner at Applebees, a stop at the end of the parade route to take a glance at the mayor, the Vulcans, and people handing out safe sex packets (which, after being randomly handed one, I slyly dropped on the ground for the street sweepers. Meh.)

After seeing them yesterday, I still don't understand what the Vulcan Krewe is all about. Would someone care to explain?

Well, the end of a parade route is not the most exciting thing ever, so we trekked on over to the stadium to get good seats, which we did, right behind the field goal. It was cold and wonderful out there. I think we just sat around for about a half hour, looking around, watching Goldie, and freezing our butts off. The actual festivities included lip-synching/dance groups, cheer squads, a gathering of famous Gophers, such as Walter Mondale, Lindsey Whalen, Bobby Bell, and Garrison Keillor. He gave a bit of a speech, which Carla and I highly enjoyed. As he spoke of the greatness of an outdoor stadium in Minnesota, and how tough we are in the cold, he quipped, "The world should not be re-arranged for the sickly and the delicate." Carla and I just adore that quote now. It is very true.

The marching band is so big. Holy cow. some 318ish people, or something. It's impressive.

The night ended with a spectacular fireworks display, and as we exited the stadium, one of the highlights of my night occurred.

On one of the huge staircases that exits the stadium, about 300 of slowly shuffled down the many, many stairs into the street. On our way down, a guy starts yelling, "Who hates Iowa??" His little posse of about 7 then replied, "We hate Iowa!" And he kept yelling and yelling. In the span of about 45 seconds, the entire 300-some person crowd is responding, "WE HATE IOWA!!" to this lone guy's yelling. It was pretty impressive. The power of one, guys. There it is.

Yeah. So, eventually we got back to my dorm, packed up my stuff, and made it home by 12 to eat AMAZING homemade apple pie (with homegrown apples, mind you.) Carla and I started watching Disney's "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" at about 1:15, and we both ended up falling asleep.

This is pretty typical, except I usually wake up at the end of the movie and go upstairs to bed. Not this time. Heh, I woke up at 10 AM when my mom sauntered in in her mint green bathrobe to let the dog out. It was so disorienting. I first expected to wake up at school, and if not at school, my own bed, but not in a chair. Really really odd.

My day ended up being an awesome mix of snow, work, sleep, food, family, and paint. Yep.

Ha. So my great great great pal Brenna was down in town from her college, St. Benedict's, up near St. Cloud. We really wanted to see each other, but I had so much homework and all, and Sunday was full, pretty much. So I decided at 1:15 AM, after some text messaging madness, to go see her. My neighborhood is so dead at 1:30 AM. I drive to the end of my street, and Brenna calls, telling me she was a bit too tired to do this. That's legit, so we decided to meet up today at 8:30 AM at my house. Much more reasonable. I took down the note I left for my parents, and went down to tell Carla I had come back ( I had notified her beforehand). Busy busy.

Meh. so much for a late night escapade. It was a better idea to meet int he morning, though, since I was pretty tired myself. I like my Ber.


OH. I found a $20 bill by the side of the road outside of church this morning. Cha-CHING.

Yep. Nothing else to big to report. Not that anything I said was that great anyway. I mostly do this for myself, you know...


More later. This thing is too long.


0 comments:

Post a Comment