So, today was Halloween. And the most festive thing I did was wear a bow tie. Whatever.
But, let me back to Halloween eve.
So, as I think I may have mentioned previously, I have homework overload syndrome this weekend. Which means as much time as is possible needs to be spent towar
ds the greater good of my schooling.
Well..this didn't happen.
See, yesterday, Friday, was the day I was going to begin pounding holes into my assignments. But, no. I decided to take the day off and do things I wanted, which proved quite useful.
These things included a 4 hour nap, handing out with respectable all night, playing music, and exchanging music tastes, which is something I have missed dearly from my high school days. It was grand. Lucie stayed the night in our dorm room, since her roomie is getting over H1N1. Thankfully, she is getting better. She's from Jordan, so can't really begoing home when she's sick :(. I would be so miserable. I'm just so so pleased to hear that she is feeling much nicer.
Ah. Let me tell you this gem of an experience. Lucie introduced a few of us late last night to this Russian opera-pop music guy, who has just downright spooky vocals that I am falling for. Pretty much, he's like an ultra soprano man. So, as he is belting out this obscurely high tone, the wind is howling and howling outside to nearly the same pitch. I don't know, but I was pretty entranced by all this. Perfect pre-Halloween appetizer.
The three of us girls stayed up until 4 Am, chatting away. So I'm a bit tired right now, since it should be 3:30 AM, but daylights savings just went away, so it's 2:30. Whoopeeee.
Rambleramble.
Yes. So, after a full day that focused on nothing but not school, today was school day. And, I woke up really really pumped about it. I still have a ton to work on, but I think progress was for sure made.
This is how it went down.
Woke up at 11.
Breakfasted.
Putsed around, and left for the student union across the river to study my many studies.
And on the way there, I tell you, I finally realized it was fall, and also Halloween. In a good way. It made me very glad as I walked across campus and over theMississippi in my favorite plaid vest, ski cap, and Carla-knitted mittens on,polishing a rare Gala apple from our dining hall in my mittens. (They tend to supply us with red delicious apples, which makes me distrust anyone who ever names a produce item 'delicious'. Bleh) But today, I got a Gala apple there for brunch, and a rare rare rare Granny Smith apple for dinner, which Lucie and I split later and ate with caramel. A perfect way to end October.
So, yes. I felt like the average college student today. It was wonderful. I have been so cooped up doing projects that I can't even understand what and where I am sometimes. But after putting on my backpack, sticking in my earbuds, shuffling through leaves on the sidewalk, buying Startbucks and laying all my curricular items out on a table, I became the stereotypical college student I always wanted to be when I was 12. It was veryempowering, I think.
I took academic refuge in the Cube, a glass box of a place near the river, with a Starbucks, bookstore, and huge windows. The sun slid it's way to the floor of the place for nearly and hour, until the low gray clouds swung by to really make it feel like Halloween. I could see the lovely Weisman Art Museum reflect the gloom from the sky, and become a piece of foreboding gloom itself. I love metal structures.
These are my two favorite building on campus.
Frederick Weisman Art Museum (aka The Fred)

McNamara Alumni Center (aka awesome)

Stunners.
Anyway, I chilled there for 4ish hours, studying away, watching squirrels dive into garbage cans, a kid fall asleep on his homework for over a half hour, and a wonderful city bus go by with a Minneapolis Institute of Arts ad on it, promoting the Louvre exhibit there. I AM SO DANG EXCITED for that. A picture of Vermeer's The Astromoner , which I am soooo pumped to see at the museum, whizzed past on Washington Ave. I wanted to pat Metro Transit on the head, I was so happy to see that painting. Ah.
Tonight consisted of more homework, and then watching the second half of Pocahontas on my floor. Watching movies with college students is like going into a discussion festival. Doing this requires me to hold back my laughter towards the general populous, because I find movie commentaries to be a riot. Ah ha.
After that was done, a game of LIFE started up, and so did the belting out of Christmas carols.
We were so done with Halloween, I guess.
Luce and I ducked out and left the others to play some LIFE, and we colored on paper on the wall in the lounge, were visited by a tipsy neighbor, and nearly fell asleep on the lounge floor and couch eating Milk Duds that tasted like Elmer's clue and construction paper. We were informed by a highly reliable source that daylights savings ends today, so I am pumped to get an extra hour of sleep.
Yet, it's 3 AM. And my body is screaming 4.
I think I'm ready to call it quits and render myself unconscious.
Happy No-Shave November.
Song of the Day: Forgotten by Gatekeeper (a perfect Halloween-esque tune)
0 comments:
Post a Comment