Monday, September 28, 2009

Fulfilling the Muffin Quota.

I had lots of muffins this weekend. Five, to be exact. And all blueberry, because that is the best species of muffin.

There is something very endearing about muffins, and I think we can also learn a lot from them. Muffins are humble. They are surprising. They are unique. They are lumpy and they are ok with that. And they're smokin' hot pieces o' work.

I like muffins.


My day was beautiful, aside from much unnecessary stress, which I dutifully placed upon my own head. Whatever. School responsibilities have a way of messing with your brain cells.

Let me tell you about the one thing that I am sad so many people are deprived of in this world that I get to enjoy: autumn. I am easily intoxicated by anything related to this gorgeous season. The smell is enough to make you giddy. Colors just pop up everywhere. The sound of leaves racing each other to the nearest storm drain makes you want to frolic, too.
I got an extra treat today in this fallish world of mine: wind and darkness. The clouds were rolling up and over at about 50 mph, and let me tell you, it's a beautiful thing. A snuggly thing.

Grab your nearest overstuffed armchair and join the weather watcher fest.


Here's another highlight of my day: grandparents.

I played bass at a nice church down in Edina today, and my grandparents and family came to the service, which was nice. Afterwards, my grandma said she'd treat us all out to brunch, and who the heck is going to say no to that?! We drove over to the restaurant, and I noticed that Grandpa wasn't there anymore. I asked my dad if he wasn't feeling well and went home. My father emitted a spiteful laugh, and told me that Grandpa had rushed home over church to watch the Sunday afternoon football game. Oh.

So, hot omelets for us; peanut butter sandwich for Grandpa.


My grandparents are eventually going to move out of their lovely house within the next few years. It'll be good for them, since the place is so big for two people to take care of, but it made me sorta sad. They've lived there for 43 years, and it's been a second home to me, so I was a bit sullen today as Grandma had us walked through the house and write down things we don't want them to get rid of when they start packing, so that they can give them to us if they aren't taking those objects along. Grandma is a planner-aheader, so she's on top of this. It's good, I think, just hard. I am super sentimental, so this was definitely an uncomfortable thing to have to process. Ehhhhm.


But, overall, my weekend was nice. It's good to come home for a bit. Carla stopped by on Friday, and slept over at my dorm. That was fun. We walked around all day on campus in the soggy rain, exploring, consuming hot chocolate, and going to a free showing of Pixar's "UP" at Coffman Union. And played Battleship.

Sister time is happy time.


Last night ended up being steak dinner and bonfire night with the family and Bjones. Another lovely highlight.





I like my life ok. Apart from schoolwork.
One can't have it all, I guess.


I think I'm going to clamber up onto my celestial sleeping platform and become unconscious.





Happy REM to you. And me.


0 comments:

Post a Comment