Monday, September 14, 2009

Even bumblebees duke it out.

Today I was walking by a planter, and noticed two bumblebees dueling. Like, literally, buzzing and wrestling angrily. I didn't think it would ever come to this.

It's window-into-my-life time. Whoopee. I can feel a lot of rambling bubbling up in my stomach. Bear with me. You've never expected to read all of this, y'know. This is mostly for my own sake, so I don't have to get writer's cramp.


So, last night was a highlight in my weekend, I think. That, and Kevin's bagpipe concert Saturday.
After slaving over homework for nearly all of my waking hours, most of my dorm floor mateys gathered in the lounge for a mandatory ice cream social. I think all ice cream should be mandatory. Socialization is already so, if you're not a hermit. Understandably.
I met a couple guys who are majoring in biology and mathematics, and boy, are they quiet. But I sensed a lot of observational brilliance radiating from them, so even if they don't find talking necessary, I believe they might even know more about some human qualities than us Chatty Cathys. Being quiet and observational is not a bad thing at all. I think we can all learn something from IT students.

I had a nice long conversation with this Chinese girl, Tingzhong. She is probably one of my favorite people around here, so far. It was honestly my goal when coming to college to meet someone fresh out of their country, and talk to them about our similarities and differences, and to make sure they feel that not all Americans are snooty and covered in fast food grease. I feel like that is what I would think coming here. That session of conversing with her made me feel giddy, and I am pleased to say that I think that even tops free ice cream. Yes it does. We talked about climate, and language, traveling the world, soup, and the sugar content of American vs. Chinese food. We are such sucrose addicts around here.

Yeah. I went to bed happy.


Y'know, I had an interesting day already, and it's only 2:00. My geography lecture wasn't all that enticing, but it will improve. I did learn that there is a thriving population of koi in an underground stream beneath Minneapolis. Who knew.

I went over to my geography discussion session later today, and I found that very interesting. The goal was to meet with others in the room and discuss your genealogy and family tree stuff. I talked to a couple of girls from east China, and they have exceptionally interesting histories to tell. I like the world.

Wow. Some fellow is excessively vocalizing outside my dorm. At least he has a good voice.

Apparently, the University does some annual group improv freeze thing in Northrop mall some time each year, where everyone just stops in place fro about 5 minutes. People who don't know what is going on usually walk by and feel stupid. I wanted to take part in it so badly, but by the time I booked it over the bridge to get to the East Bank after my class ended, people were dispersing en mass. I had JUST missed it. I don't think I could have walked faster, though. Boo.

I like busy places. And I like when busy places are good looking. Northrop mall is good looking.

As I plowed through the crowd of dispersing post-freeze people, I could hear them babbling on about the not-in-the-know people's reactions, and all that. Gah. It sounded so fun.
So, I kept walking, just to take in the sights and sounds. This elderly man was standing in the grass with his Wal-Mart bag yelling something unintelligible to us students. I condone free speech, sure. But please don't mumble while you're at it.
I walked behind this guy going down the stairs, and noticed how he had to turn his feet nearly sideways to get down.

Shoe size= approx. 243.


I was greeted outside of the student union with vividly disturbing images of aborted children posted on huge signs on the lawn. It was some genocide awareness thing, and I am all against any sort of genocide, and one look at those and I think I will be eating one less meal today. Just the thought, not even the blood, made my stomach want to hightail it out of there. Those were beautiful lives that God was having a blast creating, only to be shattered to pieces by mankind. I had to push the images out of my mind, and work my way down to the bookstore to refocus. I took the back route home.


As a side note, I don't know about you, but I think it's weird when you see a guy wearing a Farrah Do. Especially in this millennium.


On the hot and sweaty way back to my dorm across the river, I decided to walk the north side of the bridge. This might not seem too significant, but that's the side where you can view the huge graveyard of the the twisted, rusty, metal bones of the old 35W bridge. I guess nobody could think of anything to do with them, understandably, so they just lie prostrate in a park by the riverside. It's very spooky and sobering, and that's why I like it.

I don't want this to sound like I enjoy when life-snatching disasters come along so I can gaze at the aftermath in wonder.No.

I just think it is a very important thing not to forget life-altering events that mean so much to so many.

Every September 11th I make sure to go on YouTube and watch videos from that terrible day. It's not fun, but I feel that it is so important. Innocent and valiant people perished, as did they when the bridge collapsed, and these are the ways I feel I can honor their memories.

I despise when the media will cover someone like Michael Jackson's life and legacy for months straight, but there is only a tiny blip on the news when the anniversary of an important national event comes up. Barely anything is said now on September 11th. I don't like that. I want to remember. I want everyone to remember. Catastrophes bring people together. The loyal people who ganged up on the terrorists on Flight 93 were more heroic than most of us may ever be, as were all the rescuers, and all the Average Joes who stood up for what was right. And those went back to try and help their unknown neighbors out of harm's way in 2001, and at the bridge in 2007. Reaching out to help someone, even when hope of survival is slipping between your fingers, is one of the most noble and beautiful ways to go.

Michael Jackson can't boast that.

So that's why I like walking on the north side of the bridge. The view is somewhat eerie, yes. And terribly sad. But it is also a beautiful reminder that people still look out for each other. That we are not a completely every-man-for-himself society. Not yet. And not ever, I hope.

So, coming back to a less droopy Edgar Allen Poe-esque mentality,
after landing on the West Bank, I was speedily tail gaited by two chatty professors discussing if they wanted to have spicy or brown mustard on their lunches today. Ok.

I think I have procrastinated long enough. Busywork is calling my seven-letter name with it's raspy, sickening voice.



Make sure to smile at your local bumblebees today.


0 comments:

Post a Comment