Let me tell you about this week. It was ridiculous.
So, last Monday, I was required to go to the U of M Job and Careers Fair for my Majors and careers class. Basically, about 200 employers show up and interview and hire people, and people can browse around at different company's booths and get info. Boring.
My instructor said you didn't have to dress up if you weren't looking for a job, but I decided not to go completely shabby. Lucie was originally going to come along, but wasn't feeling good, so I went alone.
I don't like independent adventures in the city. This thing was held at the Minneapolis Convention Center, which is like an underground fortress with snappy looking people running around in it. Thankfully, I found out there were school buses transporting people to and from the joint, so I snagged one and rode downtown. It was a bit of a gas, climbing on a vehicle that reminded me of elementary school, and seeing dozens of people in formal suit coats and fluff.
So, my mission was to find three interesting employers and ask what they do. That's that. But, in a sea full of nervous soon-to-be-interviewed-by-pompous-companies people, it's a tad intimidating. I made my way down the multiple escalators, deep into the shiny bowels of the Convention Center, checked myself in, checked my coat in (which feels really strange), and meandered into the fray. Booth booth booth booth. They were everywhere. Cargill, Best Buy, TCF Bank, chemical engineering people, you name it. There there were. I could feel my already nervous self sink into my boots. But, I managed to talk to representatives from a community arts program, Youthworks, and the weirdest booth there, the Wildcat Rescue Santuary, or something like that. It stood out like a sore thumb, with its leopard print tables and things.
I booked it out of there right after I talked to weird tiger lady. Got on the bus, rode to Coffman, and bought myself a moleskine notebook, orange juice, and a cookie. I needed to de-stress so badly. After dreading that all day, it was over, and I needed pampering. Oi.
Later, Lucie, Mike, Rachel and myself took Mike's car to the grocery store, and bought stuff, and supplies for cooking that night. Spencer was going to treat 12 of us to his homemade Indian food. It was SPLENDID. ohh.
Before we ate, Lucie and I decided we weren't going to waste our dinner swipe that night, and went down to the dining hall to swipe soe grub for the dorm room. And, ooh, did we swipe. I wrote down in my notebook all the stuff we fit into our big coat pockets and bags:
5 apples
5 oranges
2 dessert bars
2 cookies
2 pears
8 pita slices
2 bagels
19 napkins
30 creamers
a handful of butter
a handful of hummus.
We felt pretty sneaky. So sneaky, that we're not going to try it again on that scale, lest we get overconfident and get caught. Even though we are paying for it... :P
The rest of my week was fairly uneventful. Until Saturday.
Kaiya came over t about 9:30 AM, and she, Lucie, and I spent a wonderful day together bussing to the Breadsmith, Art Scraps (an art supplies surplus store that is cheap as dirt) and taking a wonderful snooze at Coffman. We strolled about in Hogwarts (Lucie and my title for the old, creepy edge of campus) went to dinner at Hard Times, hung out and watched (and somewhat slept through) 3:10 to Yuma, and then all talked until 5 AM. It was a very worthwhile day.
Church was funny. The guest preacher gave this fire-and-brimestone Hell sermon, and kept making verbal typos, so much so, that I couldn't take him seriously:
"Jesus is the King of Hell....I mean, Love..."
"as long as people burn in Heaven..." (he didn't catch this one)
"don't tell people not to go to Hell" (didn't catch that one either)
It was silly.
My family brought my homemade oatmeal raisin cookies this week, and they are so tasty. You have no idea.
I have been doing this catch-up thing for this blog more than I'd like. My next post will be in the now.
Songs of the Week:
Calm Down by Psapp
The Counter by Psapp
0 comments:
Post a Comment