Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Green days comin'.




Rachel came in today and announced that it's gross outside. I suppose if life is bogging one down in any immediate way, today is pretty gross. But I have found this low-slung gray sky contenting after such a grand stint of sun, and I am continuously appreciating the moisture that is slowly creeping out of the earth. The best way to tell if spring is arriving is to inhale. The world all of a sudden has a scent again--a pleasant, musty odor. Birds are back from vacation, and striking up a chorus. Grass is appearing. Spring is the ultimate banquet for the senses.

Just wait until the crab apple trees start exploding. Oh man oh man.

I like today. Today is grood.

Ever go about your day, and all of a sudden stop and ask yourself "how on earth did I get here?". I mean, this definitely happens on large scales, where you realize that your whole life has lead you to what you're doing now, but I'm talking on an hour-by-hour basis. Like, how is it that I have already eaten lunch today, and one of the last very conscious things I did was climb in bed last night? I remember the whole waking up thing, and eating cereals, and going to class, and coming back, but that was routine enough that it wasn't what one might call excessively noteworthy. Sometimes I think my brain is so used to swimming that it forgets to put its goggles on.

I am listening to the British indie band entitled Psapp right now, and I think you should think about thinking about listening in, too. According to an omnipresent guru named Wikipedia, Psapp's music is a "style known as toytronica, a form of electronica made with toys and toy instruments (the band uses toy guitars, flutes, and a chicken they named Brunhilda)."

It's some pretty tasty business.I am listening to a syncopated tune entitled "Velvet Pony," which is a mesh of glockenspiels and music box noises, good for a whimsically gray day such as this.

My eyes are heavy. This calls for tea. Ermnerm.




Song of the Day:

Velvet Pony by Psapp

0 comments:

Post a Comment