In college, one perceives time in relation to their classes. "Oh, I have two hours before my next class, I have 30 minutes to get ready, blah blah blah."
In all honesty, I drive myself crazy. When was the last time I just thought "It's 2 in the afternoon," and not "It's two in the afternoon on a Tuesday which mean I have four hours until my next class, and with getting dinner and getting ready that really means three hours, and I should probably fit some homework in as well..." Blah.
My brain is so tired with living my life in a little orbit around school. Thankfully, school is about to be finished, so I have little to worry about.
The main point I want to get to in this post it the idea of little things. I came across [this blog] recently, and it's totally one of the better things I know of. It totally spoke to my live-in-the-moment side, which doesn't get a lot of attention these days, except when I am living minute by minutes, trying to get things done. Actually being AWARE of nice little things that make you happy in your day-to-day life is a little treat we don't remember to give ourselves, oftentimes.
So, in response to this idea, I thought I'd write down a few of the little things I have personally delighted in recently. I think this would be a good practice to do every day--just write down 5 small things that made your day better. It keeps things in perspective.
Here's my go at it.
LITTLE THINGS THAT MADE ME HAPPY RECENTLY:
1. Bushes filled with chattering birds.
2. Finding shiny things on the sidewalk
3. Seeing the sunlight filter through leaves, highlighting all the veins.
4. When your jean hems aren't as wet as you thought they'd be after walking through the rain.
5. Sharpening your pencil to a ridiculously tiny point, and not breaking it.
6. Whistling people.
7. The feeling of touching a tree, and knowing it's alive.
8. Getting to the bus stop right before the bus does.
9. Drawing a straight line without a straightedge.
10. Not burning your baked goods.
11. Finding money on the bus.
12. People laughing together outside cafés.
13. Symmetrical architecture.
14. Blooming trees.
15. The stickers people leave on roadsigns.
16. Watching a car slow down to let a rabbit cross the road.
17. The warm glow of people's window's at night.
18. Not stepping in poop.
19. The smell of fresh pine wood chips.
20. People who stand there and smile about nothing in particular.
21. Walking through a sunny neighborhood with a cup of coffee.
22. Toy Story clouds in the sky.
23. Thriving house plants.
24. Snuggling under an ocean of blankets.
25. Sunsets behind skylines.
26. Releasing your feet from constricting socks.
27. Fancy grocery stores with carpet.
28. Getting mental math right before someone else.
29. Realizing your iPod wasn't actually dead.
30. The temporary, unspoken comradery that forms at bus stops.
There. That put me in a good mood. Try it for yourself.
Now I go to the class where I learn about rocks.
Audios.
Songs of the Week:
When I Go by Emancipator
When I Grow Up by Fever Ray
0 comments:
Post a Comment