Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Finir.

Well, as you can see, it's been two weeks since I posted, which shows that life has been a bit crazy. I got through finals week, which was almost a little anticlimactic, surprisingly. It felt crazy when it was going on, but after it was done, I sorta just upped and left, which made me a little sad, even though it feels great to be home. Here's a summary of what went down.

Finals weeks was spent mostly at The Purple Onion Café and in the Knoll, which is one of the most beautiful places on campus, if I do say so myself.
Lucie and I parked ourselves on that bench for a while one day, just soaking up the sun that peeked through the clouds. People strolled past eating frozen yogurt from the new shop in Dinkytown, a flamboyant modern dancer twirled as he talked to his friend, and people were genuinely happy. We're all weather-reflectors up here, I guess, just like the Weisman Museum. It was the first real spring day this year, I think, and ended with a big storm that evening, which we all sat outside and watched.

I think one of the highlights of my week, though, was that morning. And I have been teased about this a few times now, but whatever, it's still the greatest. I had a final that Tuesday morning at 8 AM, and so, for the first time that semester, I was out of bed and awake at 6:45. Now that may even sound late to some of you, but for a person who planned their school schedule to start later...it's early.

I padded out into our living room, only to be pleasantly surprised by the most ancient of things: the sun. See, I was under the impression that our apartment faced due north, which would mean we never see the actual orb of the sun grace our windows. Well, surprise. It makes an appeared around 6 AM. Rachel and Lucie laughed at me, since they've had to get up at 5 AM for the past semester most days. Whatever, people, it was the best surprise ever. I just sat in that weird morning glow, watching the crows fly through the hazy sky, and perch on the slowly budding branches silhouetted by the light. To top it all off, I put on my favorite 3:10 to Yuma soundtrack song, and it fit the moment just perfectly. All in all, it was like magic. There is nothing like starting out your day slowly and in the sunshine.
Just listen to that song and stare at this picture, and you'll kinda understand that magical feeling I'm talking about. (and this isn't the view from our window, sadly. Remember, I live in Dinkytown...)


So, yes, finals is over. Ta da.

After returning home Wednesday night, we all conked out, only to get up the next day, and have my dad and I drive up to Duluth to pick up Carla for the weekend. We made the traditional stop at Tobies, for all you northerners, and got some pastries and coffee to keep us going. Once in Duluth, Carla wasn't ready to be picked up, so we strolled about the Lake Superior Maritime Center, looking at old boating stuff. Then we made the walk to the lighthouse, looked around, etc. Eventually, we picked up Carla and all her stuff, ate at Amazing Grace Café, and rolled on out. Carla become a BFA Acting major that day, which is huge, as you have to work all year to audition for that position, and only 15 out of 23 or so get in. So it was a pretty big day for all of us, and we were pooped once we got back.

The weekend was spent at home, watching movies, eating out at Good Earth in the Galleria (and watching obnoxious prom-goers take pictures int he mall), visiting grandparents, and just being together. I had a critique in my painting class on Friday, which was so much fun. Everyone brought food, and we just sat and talked about life and our art, laughed and cried, munched and moseyed. I am going to miss that class so much.

On Sunday, mom and I drove Carla back to Duluth, as she is going to be in a little play up there in June, which is pretty sweet. She's living in a castle-like mansion with some other girls. You can read about her adventures here, as she captures her castle experience.

Anyways, I will spare you unnecessary details, but just know it was a week of great change and whirlwind activity, and so now I am recouping.

I'll continue on in the next post, as this is getting rather long-winded....

Audios.

Songs of the (finals) week:

Apache by Danger Beach
New Low by Middle Class Rut
One for the Road/Storm Clouds from 3:10 to Yuma
DADstep by OmegaDubstep

0 comments:

Post a Comment