I am dedicating this blog post to one of my most avid followers, and downright great friends, Rachel Glynn.

This lady has been my college roomie for two years now, but is going to be changing schools to pursue a career in missions, I believe, something that she loves dearly.
Which means I'll lose the best roommate, but we'll cry over that later.
Here are eleven Rachel-y things that come to mind:
I. She likes things nice and coordinated.
As do I. Our dorm room freshman year was decorated so very nicely. The bedding matched the wall decor matched the dishes matched the chairs matched her toothbrush, probably. It was so blissful. Being design-inclined myself, I was downright lucky to have a roommate who shared the love of a well-designed space.

II. The black mug.
There is a specific black mug that reminds me of Rachel. It is large, with a lot of room for a lot of Tetley black tea, and has a quote from Gandhi on the side. I don't remember if she got it from Dylan, or somewhere, or whatever, but whoever gave it to her did a good thing. That child ingests so much tea.

III. Talking with her hands.
I tease Rachel all the time about her mannerisms. THEY ARE SO FUNNY, and so very Rachel-y.
There is a lot of waving and patting and gesturing, and you wouldn't notice too much except if you lived with her for a long period of time. And I have lived with her for a long period of time.

IV. The stomach pillow.
Rachel has this really bizarre thing on her bed I call The Stomach Pillow. It is essentially a waterbed for bunnies.The thing is very heavy, and sloshes like a stomach after drinking 45 oz. of water. Apparently it is very comfortable, and nice on your neck, but I think I would just be awake all night, poking it to make it slosh.
V.Cornrows.
This is an absolute inside joke that I will leave unexplained, but I just had to put it in here.

VI. Cheese
I like cheese. If I could be a connoisseur of anything, I'd probably choose cheese.
But then there is Rachel, who is the biggest sucker for cheese that I know.
Cheez-its? Boom. Gone.
Lookout.

VII. Chocolate
Another thing I thought I loved more than anyone else did. Wrong.

VIII. Vacuuming.
I'll always remember how we eventually integrated weekly vacuuming into our dorm life. Rachel would set side a Monday, or whatever, just to clean, which she is very good at. And one of the stinky Middlebrook Hall vacuums would be brought up, and all the crumbs and thread and charcoal dust would be shwooshed out of the carpet.
If Rachel was a cleaning appliance, I think a vacuum would be an accurate choice.
(On a side note, Hannah would be a toaster, apparently)
IX. Surprise sleepovers.
Every once in a while, when Rachel and I haven't seen/talked to each other in a really long time, we end up talking into the wee hours of the morning, sometimes until 5 AM. I think that had something to do with the fact that she'd drunk coffee that day, which REALLY affects her tea-drinker's soul. So therefore, we blabbed way into the night, and fell asleep throughly exhausted and happy.

X. Losing things.
Keys, glasses, you name it, it's probably been lost, and eventually found, by either Rach, myself, or another keen-eyed roomie. The glasses one was the best. I don't know how they got to be in the back of her closet for 3 weeks, or whatever, but my finding them was one of the silliest moments in my college existence, I think.

IX. Pranks.
This lady is a tease, to be sure. We go about poking fun at each other quite regularly, and she is a rather ridiculous person, especially when you get her in the right mood. And sometimes, well, pranks happen. Like when she needed to write a paper, and didn't want her Facebook distracting her, she had me change the password to get in.
Bad idea.
If you know me at all, you know that giving me access to something so easily fooled with is rather...reckless. Hannah and I sat on a couch laughing away, as we were working on our "art research" together, when we were really finding dozens of stupid photos to tag Rachel in, messing up her profile, and changing her password to silly and embarrassing things. And of course, there's Rachel, across the room form us, totally oblivious and raising her eyebrows at our wild laughter. That is, until Lucie pipes up and says " Did you REALLY give them your Facebook password?"
I have never seen the color drain out of someone's face so fast.
It was brilliant.
Well, there are many more things I could say, but I these are some of the first silly things that came to mind.
Rachel, I am sure you are reading this, and I hope you have a very spectacular day, and I really hope to see you soon, jah.
J.S. Bean?
Much lub,
Heather



0 comments:
Post a Comment