Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Jams.

Well, here I am, a month later, updating myself again. It's been a crazy few weeks, with school escalating and music becoming more and more important. All that jazz.

I guess the biggest thing that has occured since the last time I wrote is the band I am a part of, Said Kelley, had our début performance at the lovely Kitty Cat Klub (which, contrary to the popular belief held by one of my geology lab partners, is not a strip club. It's a jazz lounge thing). Sadly, the show was 21+, which meant more of Holly's and my friends could not come, but nonetheless, thanks to Kelley's supportive pals, and a few others we knew, the places was pretty packed. I had torn up my fingers in the rehearsal, and frantically bandaged them up, hoping they would stay that way until the show was over. Let me tell you, ripping open your own blisters on your fingertips is no picnic. Thankfully, they did hold up.

It was nice to have my first gig in Dinkytown, because it's quite familiar to me, and it's just a cool place to play a gig. After fumbling our way through filling up our parking meter, Holly and I convinced the bouncer than we weren't 21, but we were part of the show. He sighed, marked our hands with lovely black Xs, and told us he would believe us. We moseyed our way back to the instrument storage unit under the stairs of Annie's Parlour, and took a seat near the stage. This place, I tell you, is an post-interior major's dream. If you've ever been to the Loring Pasta Bar, or the Varsity Theater, you'll know what I'm talking about, as they are own by the same people. Overstuffed chairs, dark lighting, classy paintings, candlesticks with the wax all built up at the base, the whole shebang was a jazz lounge wonderland.

After the first band, R NT, finished up their lovely, lovely set, it was time to get up there and do stuff. Needless to say, I was more hungry than nervous, until I started to see how many people had come. Then I got nervous.

Once I got playing and all, the nerves went away and the concentration kicked in. But what initially dissolved any feelings of discomfort was one of the songs the Klub was playing while we were setting up. Machine Gun by Portishead is one of my favorite homeworking tunes, and not a very common song, at that. So to be on stage, setting up my gear, and have that some over the system was just the icing on the cake for me. It was rather silly, too, as the music we play is nothing short of polar opposite of stuff like that, so it was just plain old weird and good.

In the end, the gig went quite well. My parents ended up showing up without telling me (I figured they would)which made me quite glad. They took me back to my apartment, where I stumbled in and briskly whipped up some macaroni and cheese -- a favorite childhood comfort food and tummy filler. A grood end to a grood day.


So there you have it. First gig documented.

I need to go get ready now, as Kelley is going to pick me up in a bit to record.


Audios.



Songs of the Week(s)

Slats Slats Slats by Skrillex

Balding Generation (Losing Hair as We Lose Hope) by Port-Royal

Teardrop by Massive Attack

Pax Deorum by Enya

0 comments:

Post a Comment