Thursday, February 10, 2011

These days, these days.

This was one of those weeks that I looked at and was like "this will not be much funs", but in reality, it ended up being just that. Many a good thing happened, and that is something to be glad about. Monday night consisted of Lucie and myself juicing every orange in the house at midnight, and making a delightful, frothy mess to be consumed while in the presence of a single candle. With Ólafur Arnalds to serenade us (he was actually in town this week, but I had to miss it. Boohiss.), we enjoyed the peaceful darkness at the beginning of the week, and I think it's actually had a really positive effect on us both.

Something about slowing down and just making time to really recharge is a skill I wish more people had. All those constantly crabby or stressed or anti-social-due-to-work people need to just stop. Stop. Just for a minute. And they can then realize that if they do stop, that no, the world will not come crashing down and break their glass houses. And honestly, people enjoy being around you better. Balance is good.

As you may have picked up by now, I almost live in the present a little too much. So much so, that planning for big change in my life is a traumatic experience. I need to get over that, because college is all about making change. This is my current battle with myself, and I'll probably keep you posted if I ever gain victory over this foolish fear.

Anyway, back to enjoying the present, because even though I think I do it too much, I know that in smaller amounts, it's so beneficial. Today, for instance, was one of those simple pleasures days. Waking up at 10, going over to my geology lab, waiting around for about a half hour, and when the TA didn't show, all 20-something of us just left en masse. It was quite a silly thing. We all like out TA, so we gave him a chance, but to no avail today, I guess. It happens.

So, I got a couple hours of my life back to get some stuff done. I had to go buy art supplies at the bookstore, so I ambled in, only to have Goldy Gopher stop me and hand me a very nice fake red rose. I then realized that today was the Rose Sale, where when you pick a rose out of a huge vase, depending on the color of tape on the bottom of the stem, you get a discount. I moseyed around, rounding up all my brushes, paints, and triangles (I LOVE drafting triangles. I can't even tell you how much I've missed having one), then went to to counter, picked a rose that ended up being 30% off (not bad), and heading on my way.

I stood behind some dawdling kid at the ATM, and eavesdropped on a group of guys gossiping about their friend who was really short but always tried to act all tall, and how stupid they thought it was. After snagging my moneys, I bought some really cool postage stamps, and then treated myself to a Jamba Juice (everyone in my apartment needs groceries so bad, so the lack of fruit has been depressing). Strolling across campus with a rose in my backpack and a smoothie in my hand, listening to the birds sing (as my headphones broke again), and looking up at the beautiful, clear, windless sky, I couldn't help but grin.

It's been a good day so far.


Now for the last bump in the road before the weekend--French oral exam. Blah. Must...study....


Lunch first.


Audios.



Songs of the Week:

Thistle and Weeds by Mumford and Sons

Mount Wroclai (Idle Days) by Beirut

All Around by CEO

One for the Road/Storm Clouds by Marco Beltrami (3:10 to Yuma soundtrack)

Barton Hollow by The Civil Wars


0 comments:

Post a Comment