
I just had one of those moments where you look at your life and see that it is good.
One of my greatest goals in life is just to be able to slow down and take in a moment, as I am doing now.
I am sitting at our dining room table, alone in the apartment, which is good, since I have a lot to do. To my left, the window, with its delicate frosty lace, shows a quiet scene outside. About a dozen crows are circling through that frigid, clear air, above the naked trees and perfect snow. Late afternoon light hits the cream-coloured homes across the empty railroad tracks, making them glow a light gold. A siren wails down the street, and quickly fades into the distance. The paper snowflakes in the window are silhouetted by the light outside, and twirl slowly, around and around. A stump of incense I bought at the Electric Fetus a while back releases its smoke to dance around the snowflakes. My empty coffee mug sits next to a lit candle on the table, which threatens to burn my French homework on which my arms are resting. The bittersweet melody of Ryan Stewart's "Autumn" glides out of my speakers, as Pandora does its work. I feel the coffee course through my limbs now, and I get distracted and look out the window to see more and more large black birds soar over my apartment from the North on their annual migration.
This is my favorite time of day. It is one of those beautiful, quiet times where you realize that a lot of things in the world don't really matter. Cliché as that sounds, I really do feel like I am in a sacred little bubble of my own right now, and its just me, my burning items, crows, a sleepy sun, and foreign language homework.
Perhaps such a scene sounds wonderfully refreshing to you right now.
Perhaps you should try describing your own scene right now in simple and romanticized terms.
It does a wonder for the soul.
My situation isn't maybe as wonderful as I make it sound, perhaps, but that is how I see it right now, and perspective is everything. Everything.
And it's moments like this that, somehow, give one a slice of a more perfect world, where the beauty around you intensified, in all of its simplicity.
My incense is about to expire.
I should go.
0 comments:
Post a Comment