Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Cool-age.


College is a misnomer.

It's really supposed to be spelled Coolage. Because this really is a cool age to be.


Corny as this is, I mean it sincerely.



I mean, just dissect this lifestyle a bit with me.

Here I am, perched at a table in Espresso Royale in Dinkytown again, just gittin' 'er done. I'm here with Harnar, Lezee, and Whooshie, (Hannah, Leslie and Lucie, in case you needed that explained). We've been here for about three hours, just doing homework, chatting, and drinking copious amounts of mint hot chocolate.

I have just gotten to the point recently where me and my college life baffle me. It's such a specific time in life, and you really can't relate it to anything else. This is college.

College is sitting with your friends, living with your friends, always being around people your age everywhere you go, and becoming a slave to to obese textbooks and the internet.

College is eating a drinking things that your parents wouldn't normally let you have in excess (yes, I am sure you are thinking alcohol, but us dry folks also have our own un-beneficial diets, such as excess hot chocolate and coffee and Ramen and M&Ms).

College is living in a dorm or apartment, and all your neighbors blast loud music, but that is to be expected, since they are in college, too.

College is living out of a backpack. It is also carrying your backpack on two shoulders. The high-school coolness of that one-shoulder-strap...nuh uh. Not practical.

College is being practical, as such. To some extent.

College is being stingy, sorta. Or at least claiming you're poor, then going out all the time. Whatever.

College is mooching. Off everybody. There are days that I hate myself for doing this.

College is an excuse for thinking up smalltalk. Whenever you encounter one of those adults that is like "What are you doing with your life?", just be like "College." Eventually, it shuts 'em up.

College is learning about obligation to things you are paying for. Some people never learn this.

College is also learning about how to BS stuff if you have to.

College is about cramming a ton of crap in your head, spitting it out onto paper, and forgetting it the next day.

College is about time management. It's also about realizing the fact that nobody is directly telling your when exactly to do your homework or get your behind out the door. Again, obligation. Surprise.

College is the first step towards being at home somewhere other than where you wore diapers and caught the school bus.




College is also a lot of other things I will not mention, for the sake of obviousness. But these sorts of traits and ideas and stuff are all just slowly descending on my head. It's a strange thing to become aware of.

But I am slowly becoming ok with that. And that's weird. But ok.


It won't be forever, but it is now. And I like now.


And now is going back to a cozy apartment and spending the rest of the evening doing what I want and what I should.


Peace, yo.




Songs of the Day:


Diencephalon by Omegadubstep

Crushed Velvet by Omegadubstep



dubstep day.



0 comments:

Post a Comment