Thursday, January 20, 2011

Frozen and drugged.

Alright, so I'm a hypocrite.

I've been grumpy lately that some of my favorite blogs have not been updated recently, and here I am, updating mine over a month after I last wrote. Not that it really matters, but it's just one of those things.

I swear there is some sort of airborne drug in coffee shops that induces blogging. Every time I come here to study, I end up writing something first. Oh well.

So here I am, in my nubby,gray, knit cowl, lovingly made by my sister, parked in the most coveted corner of this place, behind the glass partition next to the coffee cup accessories. It's the middle of a Thursday, and the air is crispy cold, and the sky like some bright crystalline ceiling. Apparently, frostbite is possible within minutes today, as the windchill could get down to -30˙ tonight in the Twin Cities, and -50˙in the Iron Range.

I am deciding to honor the cold by listening to my playlist "Jeg liker det veldig godt!" (apparently meaning something like "I like that very much!" in Norwegian) Basically, it's all of my Scandinavian artists in one big clump. Every Scandinavian country is represented at lease once, except Finland. I haven't really looked into their music much. It's mostly heavy metal...I suppose I do have a version of "Yellow Submarine" in Finnish, though...does that count? It's really obnoxious.



Those present:

Norway:
Röyksopp

Sweden:
First Aid Kit
Basshunter
CEO
The Tallest Man on Earth

Denmark:
Trentemøller

Iceland:
Sigur Rós
Jónsi
Kjartan Sveinsson
FM Belfast


and begrudgingly...


Finland:
Simo ja Spede (playing Keltainen Jäänsärkijä (Yellow Submarine))



Notice, though, that I did not include someone like Björk, who honestly scares the crap out of me, even though she is rather a legend.


So, anyway, there is my now.

I braided my hair today, which I think looks rather nice, and noticed that the guy next to me did his the same way. Except his is blonde, and down to his pants pockets. But somehow, he is one of the few white guys I have seen who can pull that off without looking like some society-fearing greasy kid who only knows about death metal and Warcraft, or is a biker. Not to be stereotypical, or anything.

Oh, and I'm not going to really go into tons and tons of detail about how Christmas break went, just that is was much needed, and some Christmasy stuff happened.

-I went down to St. Louis and experienced non-Northern Baptist hospitality, (believe me, we northerners are nice at church, but only really really friendly once provoked. These people has the Genuinely-Interested factor down pat.)

- Also much time was spent with Huge Dog, family, and friends.

-I am starting up a band with a couple chums [...Said Kelley]

-I saw Tron a couple more times (yes, I'm a nerd, but I don't plan to ever really see it again once it's out of theaters. It really wouldn't be very cool then. So decided to live it up.)

-And much adventurous, and rather crabby, snow driving.


That's about it, I think.


But now I am back at school, awaiting the arrival of my last class I haven't had yet: French 3. I'm nervous, really. It's one of those classes where you have to remember stuff from way before, which, yes, that's what a language is, I know, but it's still scary.

I'm pretty sure my geology class will be superb, also since my professor is basically the top geology professor in the country. Art history will be alright, I'm not really sure about it yet. Painting will be a much-welcomed challenge, and my instructor is a delight. She's one of those older ladies who is very cultured and knowledgable, but genuinely interested in you. And she's one of the heads of the art department, which is an invaluable resource.


Needless to say, I am rather content, and even though there are always things that are coming up and need to be dealt with, currently, I am a happy camper.

0 comments:

Post a Comment