Monday, December 19, 2011
Grood morning, Dinkytown.
Well, here I am again in my favorite coffee shop! But this time, it's 9:20 in the morning, which is the earliest I've ever dragged myself here. Not that 9:20 is really that early, but in the scope of plopping oneself down at a tiny table to enjoy a latte and study French, it is.
I walked here this morning, which was very pleasant. I watched the sun come up from my kitchen window today as I fed the cat, which was nice, since the past few mornings have been cloudy enough that once I do get up, I don't see the sun for most of the day. So to see that orange orb peek over the rooftops was a welcome sight.
I noticed, as I walked through the neighborhoods into Dinkytown today that the reason morning is so extra magical is that I don't hear anybody talking. I didn't hear a single word until I opened the door to the coffee shop. The only voices outside were those of the birds, hopping around in the bushes and sitting in clumps on telephone wire to chat over breakfast, or whatever.
It's interesting when you walk through the city how many smells you encounter in just a few blocks. The stairwell in the back of out apartment building is interesting like that, too. Every time I open that door it smells like something different--fried chicken, second-hand smoke, or cookies. Or just weird stairwell.
The neighborhood went from virtually scent-less park, to smelly rail yard. I walked across the footbridge over the tracks, and noticed as the oily smell of industry slid into my nose, making everything smell greasy and musty. And, to top it all off, after I left the bridge, I walked past a row of female ginkgo trees, which dropped their stinky fruit in the late fall, leaving it to rot on the sidewalks. Bleh.
then my world got virtually scentless again as I made my way into Dinkytown. I peered into shops as I strolled past, and tried to find the hours posted for the bookstore, but to no avail. Kafé 421's entry was dark and closed, but in walking past, I could see three chefs working furiously at something back in the kitchen.
The coffee shop itself is very busy. I didn't think it'd be this crowded in the morning, but it does only make sense. Especially since it's finals week, and everyone has the same idea--go somewhere and hunker down.
I actually have a little over eight hours to burn today. That's a lot. I probably won't be going back to the apartment, either, and if I do, it'd only be for a little bit. They have the water turned off until 5:30 so that repairs can be made on some plumbing stuff. I figured it'd be best if I didn't hang around, then. You never know when nature will sneak up on you.
So here I am. I strolled into the shop through the squeaky front door that opens the wrong way (Commercial doors are supposed to swing outward--standard building code. But this one is old.)and plunked my gear down at one of the little tables in the middle of the room. I don't like sitting in the middle of everyone, but I don't really have a choice today. Whatever. The barista is very cheery this morning, and handled the long line of us with ease. People are chatting and typing and doing all sorta of things around me, giving the shop its familiar hum.
I don't feel any guilt today about sitting here and blogging for a good long stint. I'm really not that worried about the exam tonight--it's not worth a ton of my grade, and I'm taking the course pass/fail, since it was so hard, so I'm pretty darn sure I'll be fine.
So we'll see how long I can hold out in one place today studying. I'll probably be here for an hour or two, then eventually mosey over to West Bank to retrieve my last art projects (YAY), and maybe run around to a few other places.
Ah. A kid from my freshman drawing class came in. See, even though I'm perched at a table in the middle of things, I have a clear view of the counter and everyone who comes in. So it's nice for the spy in me.
Well, I'm not sure what else to tell you/what else you'd care to hear right now, So I'm going to just revert into studying and reading things and whatever.
This old guy also just shuffled in to claim the table next to me, and is throwing his jacket and mitten everywhere. Ooook.
Have a good one, y'all. I'll probably check in again later.
Songs of the morning:
Oh God, Where Are You Now?... by Sufjan Stevens.

0 comments:
Post a Comment