Saturday, October 29, 2011

Harnar B'dai.

Well, it seems like we just can't get enough of birthdays around here. Thursday was Harnar's 21st birthday, and we celebrated by having her open lots of childish presents, such as Barnum's Animal Crackers, frosting, a Hot Wheels Lamborghini, a dvd of We're Back: A Dinosaur's Tale, Moon Dough,  and a microwave popcorn popper, amongst other things. I sat her down to lunch on the couch, and we watched the birthday episode of Arthur and at Basmati rice and apples with peanut butter. Her dad had ordered her a pumpkin pie and soy ice cream from Seward Co-op, and so we all feasted upon that, as well. It was a fandangulous day, even though it wasn't my birthday.


And, to top it all off, the three of us now 21-year-olds (Leslie, Harnar, and myself) trooped on down for a drink at the Kitty Cat Klub


We all rolled out eyes at the fact that we were, in fact, participating in our first Thirsty Thursday in Dinkytown. But hey, we went out around 8:30, so we missed the real crowds.


As I sad before when talking about my first gig that I had there, the Klub is a lovely place to be. I'm not much of a drinker, obviously, but if I'm going to, it had better be cool and classy where I'm at. And this place is classy. But comfortable. Lots of lanterns from the ceilings, warm fabrics, deep armchairs, a room decorated with conquistadors, candles candle candles. And they're the candles that drip and collect tons of wax.







Harnar, since she doesn't want to drink, had herself a root beer, I had a glass of a sauvignon blanc, and Leslie had a Jack & Coke and two Blue Moons. Needless to say, she was a rather happy kid. I just got sleepy really fast. We sat in a cozy corner for a while, took pictures, drank our acquisitions, and then decided on a game of pool. Both Harnar and I don't play pool much, and I'll admit I really don't know many of the rules. We strolled on over, and Leslie showed us the ropes, and it was downright fun. The evening ended with us clambering into the photo booth, trying to figure out how it worked, not being ready when the first picture snapped, and altogether looking rather silly. 


By then, it was about ten o' clock, and we stopped at Mesa to acquire some pizza, then headed on home to munch and watch We're Back. I felt like a little kid the whole time. You know that feeling when your parents would carry you in from a long car trip in the evening and put you to bed, and you felt all warm and snuggly and happy with your life? Well, that's how it felt, except I was walking myself home with my friends.


We put on our pajamas (and I put on my favorite dumb pink cow socks), made some popcorn, and settled in on the floor with our blankets and pillows for a good ol' fashioned cartoon. That glass of wine decided it was boss, and I conked out on my rocking chair within fifteen minutes. I can't recall feeling that cozy and happy with my friends for a long time. It felt like being a kid again. and that's not the wine talking, because I am a mono drink person, and all that one glass really does is make me sleepy. 


I woke up at the end of the movie in a warm fog, and stumbled into my bed, happy as a clam. 


And that was Harnar's birthday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment