Monday, October 24, 2011

Where we left off.

So, I see that the last time I really posted, I was at Rachel's house, having a grand ol' time. It was really very hard to leave there. I think the rest of that Saturday was spent just catching up on homework and the like. I don't remember much else.


But Sunday. Sunday was fantastic. Why? Because the Weisman Art Museum (WAM)  finally reopened on campus after months of remodeling/expansion stuff. FOr those of you who are not familiar with this place, if you ever go the U of M campus, it will immediately be one of the buildings that really stands out to you. BAM. WAM.

Apparently it's designed to resemble a waterfall. Most people think of it as the 'Smushed Tin Can'. And some of us call it the 'Weather Reflector."


So, in light of this event, Harnar and I decided to mosey on over for the opening public celebration. And, boy, was it a hoot. It's like all the classy art people come out of the woodwork and bring their friends and families to a big neighborhood celebration. The art department staff, who had come the night before to attend the big private party, were milling around along with the rest of us students and populous. Children zoomed around through the galleries. It was so jam-packed, which was wonderful to see. It's fun when everyone wants to come out and experience art.


We stopped by the free t-shirt table outside, grabbed a couple mediums, and walked about to take in the general splendor. There was free screen printing (which we sadly missed out on), but replaced with the use of the free photo booth. I've never been in one of those things before, so it was well worth it.


I think we look scarily similar in the first shot...

It was basically a college art student's dream: free food, free apple cider, free live music, free art galleries, free paper, free stuff, and time with friends. We strolled through the sunlit galleries, admiring the new pieces of art that finally had room  on the walls. The Weisman apparently has more art in it (stored, of course) than the Walker, our other big modern art museum here. This is why I like my school.

After that visit, I got together again on Wednesday with most of my former painting class classmates in the museum to meet up with our professor, Diane, who is on sabbatical in Greece, but came back for the reopening of the Weisman. It was marvelous. She knows the head curator, so we were able too go into one of the back rooms and view two paintings up close and personal. It was like magic.



Moonlight by George Inness. This one was magnificent up close.

Fantastic Rock California  by Milton Avery. This one was really big, and actually sorta messy up close.


It was magical. We strolled about the galleries and caught up on everyone's lives and travels. The sun filtered in through the giant windows, giving the ceramics room a delightful glow, and the whole place a peaceful and classy feeling.

It was a good week.


Songs of Said Week:

The Darkest Evening of the Year by Emancipator

Fragile Forest by Timbre

The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Joe Hisaishi


0 comments:

Post a Comment