Well, that's a lie, since my birthday was on a Tuesday, but I celebrated with the ol' fam on Saturday, and it was THE BEST.
On my actual birthday, not too many exciting things happened for the first half. We all stayed up until midnight the night before, where I was told to quick! do something childish! before the clock hit midnight. So, I put my hair up in the most ridiculously high pigtails (and remember--I have long hair. This was awful-looking.)Then we pranced around the apartment, Leslie picked out some of my favorite music, and I think I ate Indian food. Everyone made me really fun posters, and Kelly made me cookies.Then we all went to bed.
In the morning, I think I had waffles and hot chocolate for breakfast, and then went to ceramics class where I just squished stuff. It was nice. I didn't tell anyone that it was my birthday, because that's just awkward. I went back to the apartment with Harnar, grabbed some lunch, dinged around, and went to present in my African lit. class. Fun, right?
Well, after that, then it gets fun. Rachel met me over at the art building, where I showed her the place, and then we trooped over to Uptown for a grand ol' time. We were originally going to go to my favorite ice cream parlor--Sebastian Joe's--but the Sunday before, my parents had already bought me a thing of my favorite ice cream from there (Spumoni), and it was REALLY cold that day. REALLY cold.
So we drove around, and decided to hit up the French Meadow Bakery. I've never been there before (even though I've had a pastry from then at the airport once), and had no clue what to expect. Turns out it's a bakery and a nice sit-down restaurant. So we were like, why not? Dinner!
![]() |
| I decided this place was really Rachely. |
We split the tastiest chicken sandwich, and a basket of bread with some sort of magical butter. It was wayyy too good.
And, for one of the first times in my life, we ordered dessert. That's just not something I frequently do at restaurants, just because I'm already pretty full).But we were splitting things, so cappuccino cake was decided on, with two glasses of milk. It was quite magical, really, to be drinking milk instead of alcohol on one's twenty-first birthday. I just decided I wanted to wait until my birthday dinner with my family for that. It's been my goal for years to have a nice glass of wine with dinner in some fancy place with my fam.
So, after a good 2.2 hours at the Bakery, we strolled on out into the cold. Before we left, I saw my French 2 professor, who I liked the most of my professors. BUt she was busy talking, and I didn't know if she'd remember me that well. And it didn't want to have to speak in French...
Between the restaurant and the car we found the most delightful object -- a Little Free Library. Take a book, leave a book. Ingenious.
Rachel stopped by my apartment for a while, because we both had some delightful homework to do. Meh.
Oh! And look what she gave me for my birthday--
![]() |
| It's about a foot tall, and it's an incense burner! The smoke comes out the spires and windows. And it's creepy. |
Gaah, I love it.
So, the rest of the week went by in a bit of a mushy mush. Until Saturday.
Saturday was the day where I moseyed out of bed, packed me bags, and was picked up by my entire family for a day of yay. This was Noopo's first time back form Duluth since she went up there, so we were just a lil' bit happy.
I needed to stop by the art building to re-cover a piece I'm working on with plastic, and show Noopo around really quickly.
Then, whenwe returned to the car, my family announced that we were going to Apple Jacks Orchard for part of the day. Surprise! I haven't been there since my 18th birthday, and that was only at part of the place. I haven't been in the buildings and cafe or anything since I was in grade school.
It was magical. And a bit of a culture shock to go from Minneapolis to nowhere in a half hour. We drove out into the country, which was really surreal. When we got the the orchard, it was BUSY. But wonderful. We moseyed past tents and hay bales, pumpkins everywhere, people everywhere, and bakers loading pies into the cafe. We ate our lunches by the lazy Crow River out back, which consisted of chicken wild rice soup, pulled pork, nachos, and apple cider. Oh, it was wonderful.
![]() |
| Fighting with my cider bottle, which I think was meant for babies, but no one cares. |
![]() |
| Aaaand a dizzying shot of the Crow. |
Then came one of the best parts--PICKING OUT PUNKINS.
I like mine. His name is Booger.
![]() |
| Dad was carrying him for a while, and said "He's a heavy lil' booger," though, it's supposed to be 'bugger'. And thus...Booger. |
We saw some farm animals, picked out gourds,watched children shoot apples out of cannons, and strolled through the orchards for a while. It was like heaven to a city-liver like myself.
And then we drove home to a happy, happy, happy pooch, string cheese, more apple cider, and birthday presents.
I won't bore you with my nice gifts, but I will show you one that I think is exceptionally fun.
![]() |
| A TOTORO LUNCH BOX!!!!!!! My sister knows me too well.... |
Then Carla and I went over to Anthropologie, since I had a birthday gift card to use on whatever. I bought a candle and a bottle opener that looks like a chair.
And then....it was fancy time.
Fancy time consisted of:
-Dressing up (Everyone matched 0.o)
-Driving downtown
-The Dakota Jazz Club (!!!)
-Drinking my first glass of alcohol ever (a Rose wine)(I can't put the accent over the 'e' on this program -.-)
-eating an expensive dinner
-watching an amazing Cuban pianist and his band
It was, again, magical. I was the happiest clam ever.
The night ended with us going home, my skyping Bjones, eating carrot cake, drinking more apple cider, and watching A Beautiful Mind, which I have never seen before. It was really good.
And that was that.
Un Bon week-end.
Songs of the Weekend:
Twice by Little Dragon
Lost Woods Dubstep by Ephixa
Oh, and I forgot. This is the picture we took in the orchard for my 18th, and the second one is how I felt this time around.
![]() |
| SO MANY FRIENDS |
![]() |
| ...where my friends? :( |










0 comments:
Post a Comment