Ahh, what a week. Last week at this time, my chum Brenna came down form St. Benedict's to tour the campus with me. As we made our way into the mall, the grass was basically deserted, for it was about to rain and really spooky out. Across the sidewalk there was a little Indian music group, banging and rattling and plunking things and droning "Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna...". It was quite pleasant, really. Ber and I played fetch with sticks until it began to really rain, and the music people moved into the bridge.
So, she took me home, and I spent a nice weekend with the fam. Carla and I went on a walk to go find feathers for her hat, and after walking in the woods, realized that, oh, I think perhaps tick season has begun.
I say that passively, but in reality, ticks are my biggest irrational fear. I flicked off the one we saw and her leg, and we bolted down the hill back to the path.
You know how in movies, when a camera runs after someone in a chase scene, and the view is al bumpy and blurry and wild? Well, I discovered that the is really what your eyes do when barreling down a wooded hill.
We tore off our shoes and pulled up our pant legs, se
arching, searching. I though I saw one in my shoe, but couldn't find it, so we meandered back home, with Carla acquiring a buttload of acorn caps along the way to string into a necklace.
When we got in the house, I took of my shoes, and there was that tick, trying to crawl through my sock. Needless to say, I made a pretty loud noise, and flung the thing to the floor, where Dad swooped it up with a tissue and I disposed of the wretched thing. Yes, it was epic. Every encounter with a tick that I have is epic. Especially when they get in my hair.
Needless to say, I lost a chunk of sleep that night, thinking that ticks were roaming my being.
So, on four hours of sleep, I awoke to a beautiful Easter morning.
It's sometimes hard to me to grasp the magnitude of what Easter is until a few days after. It is so utterly life shattering.
We moseyed on over to church, sang some grand tunes, and listened to Pastor John Piper preach for one of the last times before his eight-month leave. The poor guy has been at it for probably 4 centuries without such a break. He needs a nice vacation.
I wasn't really paying attention, but it looks like those guys got the wood loaded in alright.
The rest of Easter consisted of receiving the entire extended family over at my house, to celebrate both Easter, and my Grandma's 80th birthday. It was quite nice, especially since my cousin David, his wife Erin, and their daughter Audrey came in from Milwaukee. I don't think I have ever had my hair so yanked out of joint as when I spend time with a baby with grabby hands. She couldn't get enough of it.
From Easter on, this week has been rather dull. I went and interviewed a retail merchandiser at Herberger's for a paper I'm writing, and that was fascinating. If I didn't appreciate the displays in store before, I sure do now. That's a crazy psychological business.
Oh, and Rachel, Lucie and I went to visit a possible apartment on Monday in Dinkytown. We'll see how that pans out.
D'oi, so last night, I stood for four hours drawing the inside of the Regis Center for Fine Arts for my drawing class. I came back all ragged and smudged, towing this huge drawing, which Rachel promptly said needed to go on the wall. Gee willikins, fine by me. Here it is:

and in relation to my head:

I feel ok about it. There are definitely things I wished I would have had time to finish. Bleh.
Well, I should be going. French time.
Audios.
Songs of the Week:
Breathe Me by Sia
Forest Green, Oh Forest Green by Holly Miranda
Junebug by Robert Francis
0 comments:
Post a Comment