Monday, November 29, 2010

Antesolstice.



It is a dark day in Minneapolis.

Not eventfully, for anything. There isn't some post-apocalyptic tragedy that has struck the City of Lakes, although it is gloomy as such. No, it's just dark. I have lights on in my apartment at 11:45 am.

It makes my world feel more intimate and small, I guess. I ate breakfast at our little dining room table this morning, and watched a cargo train rumble past, through the gloom, on its way to somewhere. After making coffee, I shifted my way over to class, and came back without saying a word to basically anybody. And now I sit at said table, preparing to partake in some French research that, in the end, is of no importance. Its one of those days where you feel bypassed, introverted, and sometimes sorta pointless.


Frankly, this is not bothering me, because even though this sounds sorta emo, I am in a really good mood and am really enjoying myself.


I think it's the beehive.


Hannah brought us back a paper lantern for our dining room, just to liven the place up a bit. I am enjoying sitting under its warm glow, drinking coffee, reading a novel, and researching Madagascar. It really does improve one's mood.
[said beehive]

I find it rather charming.




I like things that glow. I think they are some of my favorite things. That wonderful warmth in a gloomy place just makes the world feel ancient and magical.

Here are some warm, glowy things that I think about on days like today:



I. Preguntas Hermosas: I can't get over the magic of this video. Perhaps because it reminds me of Pan's Labyrinth, which is my favorite move. (and not just because its in Castilian Spanish...)



II. Bioluminescence: This never ceases to amaze. I wasn't much of a fan of Avatar, but I highly enjoyed the bioluminescence bits.



III. Cage Lights: Or, any sort of low-wattage lights as such.




IV. Vladstudio: Still one of my favorite graphic artists.

V. Steampunk: Can't describe how much I love it.


VI.Nauticalness: Along the lines of Steampunk and all. But not so airshippy.


VII.Creepy Books: Touching on the last subject, this trilogy is one of my favorites:

VIII. More glowing particles: I need to learn how to add stuff like this into art. They are magical.
IX. 9: Again, steampunk and post-apocalyptic. I could really go for watching this right about now.


X. Tandem biking: I have no idea how this fits anywhere.



Alright. I have frittered away enough time.
Time to do that Madagascar thing.
Peace.





Songs of the Day:

Cello Song by The Books (Feat. José Gonzalez)

Machine Gun by Portishead (so good.)

The Mystic's Dream by Loreena McKennit

0 comments:

Post a Comment