
November is a beautiful month. Perhaps not so in relation to the weather, as it is rather unpredictably gloomy then gorgeous then gross all in a week. But the thing I like about November is that, after the outward beauty of October, one must appreciate things around them that are less obviously beautiful, per sé. See, October is like an acid trip for us visual people, and after such a high, when the leaves fall, something in us kind of collapses inward, and we get really introspective, or something. I realized that I was really itchy for a lil' me time this week, and all, and I swear its the weather. Un-Minnesotans laugh when we talk about the weather so much, but --
Fjöll í austri fagurblá by Sigur Rós and Steindór Andersen
Living in this coffee shop world is like a little slice of hipster heaven. The people, the music, the lights, the hum of the city, the skyline off in the distance, the culture at your fingertips, the old places you find yourself in...it's all a bit magical to me right now.
Currently, I am sitting at a little table in the corner of the shop, from where I can scope out most of café. The walls are a dull gold, and the lights make this place glow like a little haven of warmth. The creaky wood floors are snaked with computer cords, leading up to the various Apples and PCs around me, with their studious owner's faces glowing in their bluish light. I can smell roasting coffee, taste a raspberry mocha in my mouth, and stare at the friendly glowing case of the counter, filled with cheeses, baguettes, and other baked delights. I see a blonde, bearded hipster in his narrow biker capris, knee-high socks, and dark rimmed glasses striding up to the counter to buy his hot drink of the night.I also see many pieces of local art staring back at me from these gold walls, begging to be put in my apartment. Under me, I can feel an old spring in this upholstered bench thing I am on fight with my butt, trying its darndest to keep me uncomfortable. I straiten the scarf around my neck, and proceed to think about the reason I came here in the first place--to read about American history.
Hey, as I am surrounded by such good things, this should not be a problem. I will not let it be a problem. Reading history in a coffee shop is just as poetically romantic as falling in love at a coffee shop would be (HAHAHAHA I find this so unrealistically funny that I think of this song every time I come here. Sappy people...good grief.)
Yeah. So I think this history thing should happen now.
Peace, love, and concentrated doses of caffeine.
0 comments:
Post a Comment