Thursday, November 11, 2010

Walking your hibiscus home.

It's sunny today.


It's also mid-November.


Whose idea was this?


derp.




So here I sit on our beloved futon, drinking kombucha as I do every Thursday, it seems. I was just telling Leslie how I always feel very cultured on Thursdays, no pun intended (kombucha is fermented tea with bacterial cultures in it, etc.) But aside form my liquid-consumption habits, my Thursday activities, I must say, are quite pompous. They feel like something a Victorian-era lady might fritter her time away with. Just a very domestic day.

I got up this morning, cooked homemade hash browns with garlic and cheese and dill for Rachel and myself, then proceeded to round up my daily supplies, filled out a check, mailed it off to Comcast, and walked to the bus stop ten blocks away and glided over to the St. Paul Campus to immerse myself in horticulture for the remainder of the early afternoon.

This is where I start to feel cultured. Seriously, I get to fiddle with plants all day. It's like bathing in an ancient art. I love it.


After a class meeting and dinging around with plants in lab for a few hours, I took one last swig of kombucha before looking like an utter fool. See, last week, we T-bud grafted hibiscus plants, meaning I stuck a leaf of another hibiscus plant onto mine, which will eventually produce another color of flower on the plant. Anyways, so, today was the day I planned on taking said plant home.

Do you have any idea how much of a loser you look like while toting a 2.5 ft. high plant with you on the campus bus, and then taking it for a very windy ten block walk back to your apartment?

I think not. I'm sure I looked pretty wretched.

Needless to say, the plant was fine, even if one of its flowers sorta came off. I placed it near the window, and there it will stay until tomorrow when my family will hopefully take it home, since our apartment faces north, and light is scarce.


The rest of my cultured day consists of French class, and getting all domestic again and cleaning up after myself. Many laundries to fold, yo.


Anyway, enough about fluff.

I finally saw How to train Your Dragon, and I will have to say, I didn't think I'd enjoy it that much.

WRONG.

I highly enjoyed it. The animation was stellar, too. Agh.


I think I'm going to go start rounding myself up again for said French class. Whee.


Peazout.






Oh, and did I tell you my computer crashed a few weeks ago, right as I was in the middle of a history paper at 2 AM? Yeah. Try successfully explaining that to your TA. I think she took it well, though. I was thankfully able to retrieve all my files, thanks to my resourceful dad. Dads are good at everything. Always love on your dad. They are cool for lots of stuff, and for much more than just computer fixing.


Yeah, so now I just have to reorganize all my music and files and crap. Blah blah blah.

done.





Songs of the...Weeks:

The Flies by Showbread

No Cars Go (Arcade Fire cover) by Maxence Cyrin

Mad World by Gary Jules ( I like this better than Tears for Fears' original version. yep.)

A Mystic's Dream by Loreena McKennit

0 comments:

Post a Comment