Friday, August 13, 2010

I am the bringer of death.




Ah, as usual, an obscene amount of time has passed. Prepare for another wrap-up.

Currently, I am laying on my bed, drinking hot vanilla tea, listening to a creepy Icelandic lullaby, wearing a soupy sweater from Lucie, and feeling the approaching thunder absolutely shake my house. Seriously. Everything just rattled. It's a bit disconcerting.
Here is the current radar image. Everything is moving northeast:

We have been having an immense amount of storms this summer. I like that. The dead silence before a storm is so empowering. You feel as if you are standing on the edge of something very important; like something immensely powerful is going to unfold. And it is. There is nothing humanity can do to stop it. I think the weather is one of the few unharnessed entities left in the world that can humble any man. And it always will. This is good.

So, what have I been up to these past few weeks? Well, the show is obviously over. It was...ah, how should I say...just, utterly phenomenal. That's about it. I have never been in a show of that caliber, and it is completely triumphal for a non-theater aficionado, such as myself. Yes, it was dark, yes, it was emotionally and socially draining, yes, my normal life vanished for a while, but these factors were soon forgotten, and one the second weekend of show hit (and we got the first weird show over with--the audience was so freakin' giggly! It was NOT a funny show. Schoolgirls....gah) Anyway, that weekend was totally bomb. We topped it all off with a campfire-in-the-country cast party at Bethany Veimans, which was totally worthwhile, and totally crazy long. Nobody wanted to leave, and time began to tear away our friends at about 2:30 AM, and they didn't stop slooowly leaving until 4:15 AM. Destiny, Carla ad I stayed overnight, but I work the next day, so, as you can imagine, I got 3ish hours of sleep, the off we went.

Then, it was crash time. I personally didn't crash too hard, probably because I had just gotten over being sick (that's what that nose-running stuff in the last post ended up being) and it felt good to be home. Our Grandma was here from St. Louis all week, so Carla slept in my room, and we just chilled for 5 days, or so. We all played mini golf, lots of Scrabble, went to Snuffy's Malt Shop, and, for the first time in 2 years, I ate my favorite ice cream: Spumoni from Sebastian Joe's. I FINALLY found a location that carries that flavor! Huzzah!

After Grandma left, it's been nonstop social time. Finally. Sure, I was social all of July, but there are other people in the world besides a cast of eight that I wished to see, y'know. Saturday night consisted of getting together a group of all sisters (the Davisons, Zilkas, and ourselves) and hanging out in St. Paul for an evening.
We went up to the 'Traveller's Sentinel', as we call it, but more commonly known as the Witch's Hat water tower in Prospect Park. From there,you can see the entire city of Minneapolis light up at night, and it is breathtaking.

But enough details. The rest of my week was spent with the roomies, plotting, going to the dentist, working, and just bumming. Carla and I went to IKEA today to get some stuff done, and I am feeling pretty accomplished. Preparing for school when I feel that I have barely had a summer is hard, but what can you do. At least I start late. Eat that, fools.


I leave you now with some of the eerie songs I have been delighting in during the storms these past weeks. As you can see, I am on an Icelandic streak, but not thoroughly:





Songs of the Times:

Grow Till Tall by Jonsí (gorgeous.)

Gong by Sigur Rós (mmmm.)

Bíum Bíum Bambaló by Sigur Rós (that creepy lullaby. Go find the lyrics)


Leit af Lífi by Sigur Rós (groovin', with catchy vocals. gets stuck in head.)


Windstorm by School of Seven Bells (also stuck in head)


Wilderness by Active Child

(the absolute BEST to watch storms creep in by. If you don't listen to any of the others, EMBRACE this.)





Oh, and if you were wondering about the title of this post, I killed a big spider in my room before I started this. I don't like evening intruders.

0 comments:

Post a Comment