Monday, March 30, 2009

Curiosities from the world of babies.

(These adorable images brought to you by Shyness and Bloom.
Check it out, yon baby lovers/etsy types!)


I enjoy typing random queries into Google, and this time around, I stumbled upon these charming fellows, who gave me a little laugh.

What do you suppose goes through babies' minds when they are handed funny looking toys? I don't suppose they necessarily interpret them as being downright funny, but definitely entertaining. And comforting, perhaps. You know how when you were little and the silliest little objects made you feel secure? I still have my ratty pink favorite blanket lying around, and every once in a while I pick it up, just to see how it makes me feel. Such an odd feeling! Those subconscious memories of childhood somehow overwhelm the brain. It's amazing how a simple old piece of fabric and evoke such strange emotion.

I am not into emotion. I'm just not. Perhaps this is due to the fact that my mom and sister are more expressive than I am, and I just grew up to be more stoic when it comes to my deep feelings. Like my dad.
But I discovered something last night that stirred up my emotions to a point where I got quite snappy with my family, and stormed off to my room because of it.

See, my dad had been watching the 1962 movie "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" up in the office, and I bumbled in to do something or other, and ended up watching a good hour or so of it. The acting, done by Betty Davis and Joan Crawford, and cinematography are phenomenal.

(Crawford & Davis)

I won't describe the story to you, as it will get me all agitated again. But I discovered that there are themes in that movie that do not sit well with me at all. See, I am a control freak, and certain aspects presented in the film made every control-freak-cell in my body cry out in anguish at the stupid lack of common sense displayed by one character. The feeling of helplessness was overwhelming in the film, and I finally saw that nothing was going to be solved in a sensical matter. So I blasted downstairs and pretty much ordered my sister to tell me what happens in the end, because I couldn't stand to watch something that perturbed me so anymore. She gave me a synopsis, which proved my suspicions true and the rest of the story, and I stomped upstairs, throughly disturbed.

Even after that rant, though, I will still emphasize that it is an extremely good movie in its own right, but I would only recommend it to those of you who are not control freaks like me, and those who are not deathly afraid of and bothered by utter helplessness. And to those of you who like very suspenseful films.

So, yes, I am scared by my emotions. That definitely riled me up a bit, and I ended up scaring myself (and my family, too, I think) with my passionate verbal loathing during the ordeal.

Anyways, I think I will finally depart for the night. It is 2:45 AM CST, and I have a theatre rehearsal later...today.

Yes. End of end.

0 comments:

Post a Comment