Friday, January 13, 2012

Gemütlichkeit.

Greetings to all from the blustery town of Duluth! I'm am here to bring my sister back to school/hang out for a day, and it has turned out to be quite the pleasant experience, indeed. I am currently snuggled into the big couch I slept on last night, gazing out the window, through the front porch, and out over the distant Lake Superior. It's a gray day, but a bright gray day. Noopo is at the other end of said couch, reading Hector and the Search for Happiness, which is apparently quite whimsical.



Her lovely room mate Emily is perched on another couch across the room, also dinging away at her computer. I can hear the strains of a boisterous musical number ringing from the upstairs, where Carla's other sweet friend, Chelsea, whose house this is, is getting ready, along with Eric, a fine chap who is also taking refuge in this theatre house, as the campus apartments don't open for another few days, which is stupid. But hey, at least everyone is having fun.




I woke up today to people chatting in the dining room, fresh banana bread, courtesy of my sibling, and hot coffee, courtesy of Emily. We're all just lazing about, here in our very own Gemütlichkeit. Harnar taught me that word, and even though I can't pronounce it worth beans, I'm slowly learning what it means.


According to the always-correct Wikipedia (of course) a Gemütlichkeit is "German abstract noun that has been adopted into English.[1] Its closest equivalent is the word "coziness"; however, rather than merely describing a place that is compact, well-heated and nicely furnished (a cozy room, a cozy flat), Gemütlichkeit connotes the notion of belonging, social acceptance, cheerfulness, the absence of anything hectic and the opportunity to spend quality time." 


And that is absolutely what we've got going here. And it is wonderful. I think an afternoon trip to the antique store downtown, and a lunch at Perkins are also in order today.


And then the long drive home, by myself. Not so fun. But hey, I can listen to whatever I want the whole way down. Oh,yay.


Welp, whatever. School starts in a few days, I think I'm ready. I really don't have a lot to be stressed out about. I mean, I won't have to be ready for something like French again. HUZZAH.


Too exciting.


Well, I'm going to wrap it up here. Another one of their friends just showed up, so I'm guessing things will happen soon. 


Have yourselves I nice day, yo.






Songs of the Day:


Various Songs From Musicals I Don't Know by all sorts of people i also don't know.


Paris Blue (Death to the Throne Remix) by Lykke Li (again)







0 comments:

Post a Comment