Sunday, November 20, 2011
Community of Peace Academy.
Here I am again.
My life is such a whirlwind! I remember there other day that I haven't even told you about one of the biggest changes in my life recently--I have a new job! I'm a literacy tutor for America Reads, which basically means I sit down with a couple kindergartners twice a week and talk about the ABCs. And I love it. And we get paid for everything--any meetings, classes for the company, anything. It's wonderful. NO MORE POTBELLY! Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun there, and my coworkers were extremely nice, and I still go in every few weeks, but it's nice to have a job that pertains to my interests! I feel spoiled, sometimes, knowing that I get paid to do something I enjoy so much.
I am currently working with two kids, one-on-one, a half hour each, on Mondays and Wednesdays. Jazzaria and Jonathan are both a blast. Jonathan can be a bit of a handful, as he like to hide things under the table. He's extremely kinesthetic. I have a special place in my heart for kinesthetic kids. I'm more of a visual learner, which makes me very lucky in the scope of school. Very rarely do kids get to do hands-on activities when they get older. I've been contemplating on even doing my senior project about something kinesthetic. I just feel like these kids eventually get gipped in the academic world, and I wish they could feel the success that the visual and auditory kids seem to attain more often.
Anyways, it has been a wonderful deal.
Ha, story. I went to tutor on Halloween morning. I get to carpool, which is wonderful, and so, as usual, we pull up into the cute St. Paul neighborhood where this charter school is, and tromp through the leafy sidewalks on our way to work. We'd just got done listening to the people on the DAve Ryan show talk to callers about creepy stories in their lives, so all of us had things like that on our minds.
Across from the school, which is run by Catholic nuns, believe it or not (they're so nice to us!) there is a church.
And outside of that church, as we are about to cross the street, we see a hearse pull up, and two men unload a casket. A real casket. With a real dead dude in it.
WHY WOULD YOU HAVE YOUR FUNERAL ON HALLOWEEN?
I bet those two guys were a little on edge the whole time, not gonna lie.
It was way to much irony for all of us.
Ah, silly.
Songs of the Week:
Lionheart by Emancipator
Twice by Little Dragon
Lost Woods (Dubstep Remix) by Ephixa
Good for Me by Tri-State
Animus Vox by The Glitch Mob
The Darkest Evening of the Year by Emancipator

0 comments:
Post a Comment