Friday, June 24, 2011

Reflections.


My lazy summer days aren't as frequent as they were at first, as I started up work again, and have been gigging more recently. We had a show last night for the first round of Rawkzilla Battle of the Bands, and I think it went well. It's interesting, this music lifestyle. I've only been barely introduced to it, but the mindset of practicing, performing, competing, meeting new people, etc, is all still a bit new and sometimes uncomfortable. Not too much, mind you. But I am one of those folks that take a long time to adjust to changes in my lifestyle.


 It still sorta befuddles me that I am in a position that a lot of people I know would just die to be in. Routinely playing on stage is a real treat, but sometimes I forget how much of a privilege it is. I'm not trying to be cocky about it, no sir. It's just that playing an instrument on stage is something I've done long enough, with church gigs and all that, that it's just something that happens routinely in my life. That's cool. I just don't ever want to take it for granted. I mean, how cool is it to be part of something people want to come see, and heck, sometimes pay to see? I don't fancy myself a super-duper-extraordinary-stellar musician, no. I don't just breathe it like some people do. But I like to think that after all these years of doing it, that I guess I've earned a little sliver of lyme-light, and that's pretty neat.  But like I said, I don't feel inclined to be cocky about it, and be like "ummm, yeaaaahhh, I play on stage a lot and I am the best musician ever," because that's just bogus and stupid, and no one likes anybody like that anyway.


Rule of thumb: if you're going into a showy art form, or even a less live-performance based art form, don't just take it for granted. It could be taken away from you in a second.


That sounded like one of those inspirational quotes and crap. But whatever, it's true, when you really think about it. It could be something as big as being in a severe car accident and losing vital movement in your body. Or something less traumatic, like carpal tunnel. If I ever lose any valuable fingers, my life as a musician could be over. And that'd suck. So that's why getting all prideful and snooty about it doesn't help anybody.


To illustrate my point in a rather dramatic and strange way, watch this short film. It haunted me for so long after I first saw it, and took me a couple years to track down again.




Anyways, moving on from morbid existentialism, I would like to reflect on my lazy afternoon. It was spent with my sister, my allergies, and the park. We walked to Fish Lake Park down the road, and parked ourselves on our favorite hilltop to enjoy the warm summer day. Carla eventually fell asleep on her blanket in the grass, and I sat at the picnic table, enjoying the day and reading. Bliss.




Well, nearly.


There was only one problem--snogging teenagers.


See, we were up on this hill overlooking the beach, and in the middle of the hill there is this row of bushes and stuff. Well, when we first arrived, I noticed that these two teens were sitting behind the bushes, where they could overlook the lake, but not be spotted. Poor planning on their part, because anyone above them could see them clear as day. As soon as I saw them, I swear, this song popped into my head. They weren't snogging at first, just talking and chillin' in the grass, but as I was taking in the view of the lake, I looked down and ta-da. Lovesick teenagers. It was downright annoying, because there was no way I could take in any surrounding view without looking like I was spying on them, or something. So I resorted to reading The Artist's Way and gazing into the dense woods in front of me.


Annoying.




Anyways, my day didn't really get much more eventful, which is fine with me. I've been so go-go-go this week that a lazy day in solitude fits my interests. And my allergies are acting up, so I'm probably not the best of company, anyway.




Well, that's all. I'm going to watch the cloudless sunset slowly fade away, clean my room, and watch Harry Potter. A good way to end a summer day.


Peas.






Songs of the Week:


Lovesick Teenagers by Bear in Heaven


Summertime Clothes by Animal Collective


Bloom by Pogo


Moan (Trentemøller Remix) by Trentemøller

0 comments:

Post a Comment