Friday, January 25, 2013
SCAWBU.
I just made that acronym up right now. It's an ideal that I always thought would be fun as a child, and over my college career, I've realized multiple times that I live my SCAWBU dream.
SCAWBU: (n) acronym from self contained above water backpacking unit
The ideal of having everything I need for the day in my backpack, and being this little unit who can go anywhere and do anything, and not need to recharge at home base all day. I love it. Everywhere is my home. I can get food, I have water, I have my computer, drawing materials, a book, music, phone, wallet, whatever. I'm a first-world, first class SCAWBU. And I definitely revel in it.
Like right now. After my sole class today, I trucked over to Coffman to indulge in a toasted cinnamon sugar bagel and chocolate milk with that hopes that maybe-this-will-count-as-lunch-until-I-go-home-sometime.
Ha. Side note. I just had a realization that the William Within concert I'm going to tonight with Kelley will take place only 3 floors below where I sit right now, in the Whole Music Club. Yay for accessibility!
I'm currently parked in a comfy chair with a little desk arm thing in one of my favorite places on campus, the second floor of Coffman Union, where all the international students hang out. I know I've talked about this place before, but I am always so pleasantly surprised when I remember about it and chill for a while. It is definitely the loudest floor of Coffman. The bookstore floor, where the food is, is also loud, but that's an everybody-is-busy-and-has-to-talk-to-each-other-to-make-purchases-and-maybe-say-hi-to-my-friend-in-passing loud. This loud here is thumping music, and groups of friends chatting it up in all sorts of languages, throwing things at each other, free food, you name it. The walls are painted bright colors, and there is art everywhere. It's a community, basically, whereas other floors here are just gathering places for individuals. And I like that, too, but it feels nice to be surrounded by a swirl of activity and warmth. Ha, and, unlike any truly white kid, I look like I could belong here. I may have been raised caucasian, and that's all well and good, but it's quite amusing to be able to blend in other places, as well.
I just wiped some cream cheese off of my eyebrow.
Whelp, I'm going to run some errands on campus, and them maybe mosey over to Target or CVS or something to pick up things. I love days like today. Where there are things to do, but no schedule, and I am surrounded by a flurry of energy and other people with purposes.
It's time to take a walk.
Songs of the Day:
Behind Your Eyes by Jon Foreman
Brother Aidan from The Secret of Kells soundtrack
Labrador by Loyal Divide
Sirens by Visions of Trees

0 comments:
Post a Comment