Monday, August 8, 2011

Silhouettes



I have two favorite times of day. They occur within a few hours of each other, so If i have a lot of time on my hands, I can sit around and enjoy them nonstop. The first is the golden hour, which is the hour or so before sunset, which everything glows like a Tuscan painting. The sunset itself can be good, that's always a treat, but the part I really like is when the sun goes down. Dusk. Twilight. Whatever. I prefer 'dusk' now, since the word 'twilight' has been marred.


I don't what is is about this time of day, but it makes me want to slow down and just soak it in. I did that just now, as I walked into my bedroom. All the lights were off, and the curtains were open, which let me see the silhouettes of the trees, and the gently gradating sky behind it. Tonight the fading sunlight has painted my favorite color scale in the sky: light orange to rich green to a deep blue. I had to paint one in my color class like it once, and let me tell you, it was stunning. I love color.


As I walked into my room, took off the flannel shirt over my tank top, I sat down at m desk, turned on the most calming dusky song, and stood at the window, gazing out over my darkened neighborhood. As Bon Iver's Perth wafted out my window, I could feel my mind and body both slowly relax. I had been really stressed out this evening over figuring out my school and work schedule, and had had about enough of wallowing in it, when Carla came in an we decided to go to the library, which helped a ton.


I stared out at the dim sky and the deep gray clouds catching any last bit of light they could before they lost their silver lining entirely. The trees. Silhouettes, barley ruffled by the night breeze, stood like guardians over the street. Calm and constant. Bats floated by, dipping and dodging on an unseen trail. A mosquito tried to barge its way through my screen. I found myself barely visible to my own eyes, my skin a light gray in the fading light.


And I am sitting here now, still in the darkness, gazing out upon that scene. It is obviously later now, and the silhouettes have almost melted into their murky backdrop. My favorite soundtrack song, One For the Road/Storm Clouds serenades this moment perfectly. I find my jittery body calming down.


The summer night is never silent. Crickets keep an even blanket of sound going, never resting for a second. A bug will trill every one in a while, as if he is trying to yell above the din. A restless songbird gives off a single tweet.


I can hear my sister clunking around dishes in the kitchen as se prepares to bake bread tonight.


I think I will join her, as I am more relaxed.


After looking at the silhouettes.




Songs of this Night:


One for the Road/Storm Clouds from  the 3:10 to Yuma soundtrack


Perth by Bon Iver



0 comments:

Post a Comment