![]() |
| Basically now. |
So many thing have happened since I last wrote.
1. I crashed my beautiful little blue car, Bugsy. It was an awful day, filled with weirdness and cold and sadness and confusion and eventually comfort by being home, safe, virtually unharmed, and watching Hugo.
2. I have since bought the red version of the Honda Fit Sport and dubbed her Carmen Sandiego. I feel so lucky and spoiled, because the thing I missed the most about Bugsy was the tinted windows. I kid you not. First world problem, yes. But hey, when you tote around music equipment and whatnot, it's nice not to have it out for all to see. Anyway, I am so crazy, crazy lucky in that this new vehicle has tinted windows, as well as everything else Bugsy had, except the color.
Seriously. I am way too blessed, sometimes. Keeps me in check.
3. Due to the accident, I have been regularly going to the chiropractor and getting massages, which is just super weird and super great. Cannot complain. I cannot. Plus, my former roomie Rachel is the receptionist, so that's just another super duper bonus. What now.
4. I started the last portion of my final project, which is a portrait of my biological mom and one of myself. It's intense, but I feel good about it so far. More on that probably later.
5. My great friend Gabriel finally turned 21, and this is cool because now we can go get classy drinks, which is what we are doing tonight.
6. I have since been reconnecting with old high school friends, which, let me tell you, is strange and very rewarding. You really start to figure out who your friends are when you are separated for a long time and want to see each other again.
7. I skipped class one day to go to Glam Doll doughnuts with part of my art co-opertive, Stein Haus, and we went over to the MIA afterwards to bask in the glory of art. Besically one of the best days of my semester. No regrets.
8. I have learned a great deal about some of the parts of Minneapolis I have not really paid much attention to before, thanks to this Geography of the Twin Cities class. St. Anthony Main, for one, is a place I intend to spend more time in as I graduate from undergrad and move into--
9. GRAD SCHOOL!! I wanted to put this last, but maybe I'll think of something else to say. Yep, got into the U of M's Art Education program, and will be starting in June (eep!) Very little time to adjust, but I'd rather that than floating around in ambiguity much longer. Having a plan is great. I had a feeling I'd probably get in, but one can never get too cocky about feelings, but turns out I was right. It just feels good to have it officially confirmed. Ah. I am so blessed, people.
10. Oh! My wonderous pal Kaiya got into Ringling College of Art and Design for computer animation!! It is a very tricky school to get into, and she did it! I promised her I'd scream if she got it, so when she called, I did. Into a blanket.
11. And I am on spring break right now, sitting in my hometown Caribou Coffee, trying to sort out my life and relax a bit. Break is a nice change from the normal routine, but it presents its own stressors, such as balancing out homework with family with freidns with other things that come up. I'm so used to just fending for myself that a sudden switch into being home and rotating my schedule around my family's takes some adjusting. But that's alright. I love being home. I know I will always cherish these times.
12. OHOHOHOH, AND. AND. I got to hold the original illustrations for Goodnight Moon. They're in a huge children's book archive at my school Who knew!
| Tried to calm down enough to take this picture. |
Anyway, I know there were lots of post ideas that come into my head over the course of this last month, but it has been so crazy that I just couldn't bring myself to do them. Such is life.
Here are some books I've been enjoying recently, as well as some music.
Cheers!
Books I have read in my classes and loved:
One! Hundred! Demons! by Lynda Barry ~a quirky and fun graphic novel that celebrates the little things that shape you.
The Lost Thing
The Red Tree
The Arrival
The Viewer, all by Shaun Tan. ~This guy is my new illustration hero, alongside Edward Gorey. His picture books introduce children, and adults, to nontraditional concepts with glorious and thoughtful images.
Fox by Margaret Wild~I've owned this book for a while, but just revisited it. An eerie picture book with gorgeous mixed media illustrations. Haunting and beautiful.
Baloney by Pascal Blanchet ~Found this in my University's bookstore for about three bucks while I was browsing. An eerie and also beautifully rendered graphic novel of a rather melancholy tale.
The Black Book of Colors by Menena Cottin and Rosana Faria ~A book which describes colors to the blind, while giving those who have sight an idea of how their other senses are just as valuable for perceiving the world. A brilliant, brilliant idea.
Oh, there's probably more, but those are the ones I've really come to love as of late.
Songs of the Last Month:
Angelene by Thomas Azier
Red Eyes (Mike Luck remix) by Thomas Azier (my car's new theme song)
Free Translator by The Books
Paperman from the Disney Short (still in love with this)
Shade of Black by Thomas Azier
Hold On by Alabama Shakes (I played this in church one week. Way too awesome.)
The Suburbs (Arcade Fire Cover) by Mr. Little Jeans
Move to the Ocean (Beaver Remix) by Brick & Mortar
and as of right now, surprisingly,
Untitled 3 by Sigur Rós (WHO I GET TO SEE IN CONCERT IN TWO WEEKS!!)
This song was a grieving song for me at the end of high school, and it became so hard to listen to. You know how some songs are like that. Too many memories attached. Well, it came on as I was sitting here, and I realized how much I have changed in these past few years, and how I don't feel that weight anymore. Wow. It's amazing what turns life can take, fast or slow.
Alright. That'll do for now, pig.
.jpg)
0 comments:
Post a Comment