Monday, May 10, 2010

Studying with ghosts.

It is a dark and stormy afternoon. I have meandered about campus today, studying and exploring on and off, wandering around in the misty weather, searching out new nooks and crannies in which I can hide myself. It's been a lonely day, but I think I need it. Rachel is in Chicago, so this morning, I woke up at 11:30, got dressed, moseyed down for a UDS brunchy thing, and packed up to face a full day of studying French. Yes, it is finals week. Only four days left for me. OH MAN.

Anyway, I clomped across the bridge with my probably 15-pound backpack, and settled in The Cube with some Starbucks and my homework. My headphones broke a couple weeks back, which was very sad, but I suppose I should take a break from stuffing music into my head.

After sitting in said Cube for about two hours, I grew restless, and went into the bookstore to buy an eraser, neon yellow pencil, and graph paper notebook. I didn't really need the last two items, but I figure I can ding around with them when I need to just vent my crazy, pent-up studying anxiety on them.

To also calm my agitated self, I tromped down to the Whole in the bottom of Coffman, to wedge myself on the floor between a couple of empty leather chairs, and read through the book of Esther, which I have been thinking about lately. That book doesn't mention God once, but you can tell He is hovering in the background, protecting His people, and dishing out wisdom to those who need it. It calmed me down, which was a relief. Over to my right, a guy and a girl were recording themselves for their ASL final on her laptop. I could tell they were a little embarrassed, so I made sure never to look their way, and they seemed OK with that.

After my reading wrapped up, the next step was to go wandering about campus, and I decided it would be pleasurable to try and locate the Bell Museum of Natural History over near Frat Row. Visiting dead, musty, stuffed animals seemed like a worthwhile pastime for a dreary day such as this. I bussed and walked over to the building, only to find out it was closed on Mondays. I sort of expected that, but nonetheless, I hung out in the mini forest surrounding the museum, took a few pictures of wildflowers and the moose and wolf sculptures outside, and moseyed on.

Eventually I found myself in the Mall, wondering there I should go and take shelter from the rain. I looked towards the end of the expanse, and noticed a single door on the end of Northrup Hall was open, something I didn't see often. I have never been in Northrup. It seems like some sort of ancient fortress on campus, full of fanciness and eerie wonder, and, according to campus legend, at least one ghost. Now, I don't believe in ghosts, but nonetheless, the thought adds to the spooky atmosphere. Yes, I was drawn to the door, and as I walked in, I felt like Maurice in Beauty and the Beast, walking into the Beast's castle after encountering wolves (which, I daresay, I did meet some cast iron ones about a half hour back), and in from the rain. The entry hall was long, dark, and musty, and not a soul was in sight. I sat down on a bench against the wall, and took in this mausoleum-like edifice, and in looking up, discovered there were little tables on the third floor, looking out through the two-story windows overlooking the mall. So, i made the executive decision to take on the staircases with my behemoth of a backpack, and slowly made my way to this table. The view is highly enjoyable. I feel like a guest in a castle. For a while, the only sounds I could hear were various boomings and creakings coming from the bowels of Northrup, and the occasional plebeian exiting into the cold. But aside from that, basically no one was around. That is, until a group of about twenty students decided to plunk themselves down in the lobby to have a pizza party. Seriously. And their voices carry so badly in this stone place. Oh, well. Eliminate them, and the magic will be restored.

Lucie has come to join me now, and we are eating apples and oatmeal here on the third floor. We peeked through the little peepholes in the door windows to the auditorium, and that looks like a shmancy place. I probably won't go in there for a while, though.


So, I suppose it's back to studying. I am so full of coffee and apple and salad and peanut butter cookies. Bleh. It is not the most comfortable of days, but it definitely a good one, still.


I will update you on other recent doings later. For now, let us live in the now.


Peas haute.




Songs of the Week:


Let Go by jj

Orion by These New Puritans


0 comments:

Post a Comment